Lord Taylor Suspended from House of Lords

there's an entire branch of bureaucracy built around the idea that having a criminal record for certain offences such as fraud should bar you from having certain jobs which would give you the opportunity to repeat the offence

you need clean CRB checks for pretty much any sensitive, secure or trusted position these days

I would say being a lord or an MP counts on all three of those points

so if he can provide a clean CRB check then I have no objection to him having his old job back

if on the other hand he can't provide a clean CRB check and still gets his old job back then I'd like a debate in the commons about exactly why CRB checks can bar the rest of us from positions of power, trust and responsibility

he says he wants to prove he can be trusted, fine start at the bottom again like everyone else has to

I've even got a brush he can use to sweep with

A permanent suspension is the correct response; you would be unlikely to be allowed back into a workplace if you had defrauded your employer. As for the title, he can call himself whatever he wants - every time he uses it, it serves as a useful reminder of his crime, after all.

A completely breathtaking state of affairs, I'm astounded he's got the nerve to show his face let alone expect to be let anywhere near parliament again.

These people should be stripped of all titles and privilege for what they have done, the claims that the rules were too vague to understand when they are in the ideal position to question the said rules, let alone the very questionable moral judgement these villains have displayed should be a good indication that we do not need people like this in our parliament.

I know this is a bit off topic but I read an interview with him when he was released saying that one of his problems in prison was that the "mirror" in his cell was a piece of scratched plastic so that when he had a shave he ended up looking as if he'd been in the ring with Mike Tyson (I don't think he said Tyson but it was a heavyweight boxer)

This struck me as an odd thing to say - why do you need a mirror to shave your face? It's not as though it's difficult to find - I often have a wet shave without using a mirror and have never cut myself yet

It's puzzled me for a while now, thank you for letting me get it off my chest

But in response to the OP - I don't think you are banned from the House of Lords unless the Queen takes away your peerage - although you may have to serve all your sentence first - not just the bit you serve in prison - I think you are only automatically barred if you are guilty of treason

I know this is a bit off topic but I read an interview with him when he was released saying that one of his problems in prison was that the "mirror" in his cell was a piece of scratched plastic so that when he had a shave he ended up looking as if he'd been in the ring with Mike Tyson (I don't think he said Tyson but it was a heavyweight boxer)

This struck me as an odd thing to say - why do you need a mirror to shave your face? It's not as though it's difficult to find - I often have a wet shave without using a mirror and have never cut myself yet

It's puzzled me for a while now, thank you for letting me get it off my chest

But in response to the OP - I don't think you are banned from the House of Lords unless the Queen takes away your peerage - although you may have to serve all your sentence first - not just the bit you serve in prison - I think you are only automatically barred if you are guilty of treason

Does treason still exist..who was the last person charged with it?

Does treason still exist..who was the last person charged with it?

As far as I know, that was William Joyce, infamously known as Lord Haw-Haw. He was executed in 1946. (It's easy to imagine cases of treason where allowing the trial to be made public would itself be a security risk; obviously, I do not and cannot know if there have been any!)

The death penalty for treason was removed in the late 1980s, but the offence is still on the books.

One of his arguments for being allowed back appeared to be that, when the Lords discuss prison conditions, he'll be able to participate with invaluable inside knowledge.

If that's the criteria for being a Lord then when does Charles Bronson get his peerage? :) ( I don't mean the actor:))

As far as I know, that was William Joyce, infamously known as Lord Haw-Haw. He was executed in 1946. (It's easy to imagine cases of treason where allowing the trial to be made public would itself be a security risk; obviously, I do not and cannot know if there have been any!)

The death penalty for treason was removed in the late 1980s, but the offence is still on the books.

Not exactly a common occurrence then..

Archived