Lord Taylor Suspended from House of Lords

Didn't Lester Pigott lose some sort of title or award from the Queen when he was jailed for tax fraud?

Just a thought.

In 1621 the philosopher and statesman Francis Bacon was charged with taking bribes, stripped of his title and fined. Sir Roger Casement, the Irish nationalist hero, lost his title before being hanged for treason in 1916. Kim Philby lost his OBE and Sir Anthony Blunt was stripped of his title of Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order when it was revealed they had been spies for the Soviet Union. The former champion jockey Lester Piggott was stripped of his OBE in 1988 after being jailed for a £3m tax fraud. Jack Lyons lost his knighthood after his conviction for fraud in the Guinness trial. The world darts champion Phil Taylor was relieved of his MBE last year after being convicted of assaulting two female fans. The Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu was stripped of his honorary Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath the day before his execution on Christmas day 1989.

The article itself was about Naseem Hamed being stripped of his MBE, also following a conviction.

Such forfeiture does not happen automatically, but only when directed by the Queen (on the advice given to her, no doubt) in specific cases. But while there is basis in law for the withdrawal of such honours, there is not, and has never been, any legal procedure for disbarring someone from the House of Lords. It would take a specific Act of Parliament to do so, I believe.

To suspend someone from attending is much simpler and quicker than attempting to forfeit his title altogether.

They are all at it,

Shamed peer allowed back into House of Lords despite failing to repay a penny of her £125,000 false expenses

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061006/Shamed-peer-Baroness-Uddin-allowed-House-Lords.html#ixzz1dh1vDCJt

She claims she is too poor to pay back what she owes....yeah right, pull the other one.

On the issue of stripping people of awards when is Fred "The Shred" dodgy fornicating banker Goodwin going to be stripped of his Knighthood?

Unless I've mixed up my Taylors, he was a Conservative MP and presumably sits on the Conservative side of the Lords.

I don't think he was an MP. He stood for Parliament in 92 for the Conservatives in Cheltenham but was the subject of a lot of racism and lost. He was given a peerage and landed in the Lords a couple of years later.

She claims she is too poor to pay back what she owes....yeah right, pull the other one.

On the issue of stripping people of awards when is Fred "The Shred" dodgy fornicating banker Goodwin going to be stripped of his Knighthood?

£300 a day expences :shocked::shakes:

here's a thought

why not start a petition on the government website calling from the automatic exclusion from office of any politician or lord who has a criminal record for anything more serious than a parking offence

like I said before, we have to jump through the CRB check hoop, to get into positions of authority and responsibility, why not our lords and masters

we should be able to get more than enough support for that to get a debate, and you never know we might get enough to put legislation before parliament

doubtless they'll find a way to weasel out of it, MP's and the lords don't like rules that apply to them

Archived