Lord Taylor Suspended from House of Lords

here's a thought

why not start a petition on the government website calling from the automatic exclusion from office of any politician or lord who has a criminal record for anything more serious than a parking offence

like I said before, we have to jump through the CRB check hoop, to get into positions of authority and responsibility, why not our lords and masters

we should be able to get more than enough support for that to get a debate, and you never know we might get enough to put legislation before parliament

doubtless they'll find a way to weasel out of it, MP's and the lords don't like rules that apply to them

A very good idea and one I would like to support or help implement.

A very good idea and one I would like to support or help implement.

Looks like there's already one going.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7840

MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT TO HAVE CRB CHECK

Responsible department: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons

Why is it we have criminals in parliament ? If you want to be a cleaner in a hospital you need a CRB. Why are the people that Want to run the country not subjected to the same rules. Make them all subject to a crb check....criminal record= no job

Closing: 17th August 2012

Only 2 signatures so far, maybe the wording could be polished a bit and it needs to include the Lords but it's a start.

So should we start a new petition that specifically includes the Lords or just get behind this one ?

Looks like there's already one going.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7840Closing: 17th August 2012

Only 2 signatures so far, maybe the wording could be polished a bit and it needs to include the Lords but it's a start.

So should we start a new petition that specifically includes the Lords or just get behind this one ?

I think a new one, incorporating the lords, would be more effective and we would be able to word it accordingly. Not only should the CRB check be included, but also something about MP/Peers conduct and stripping them of any power should they be imprisoned etc.

Works for me, would you mind starting it ?

If I start it then I have to put my name and I don't particularly want the users of the forum knowing what that is, as moderators aren't universally liked for some reason.

I'll cheerfully sign it once it's up though.

How about the following for wording

Members of Parliament and the House of Lords to be subject to CRB checking and excluded from office if found to have a criminal record

Members of Parliament and Members of the House of Lords have a position of authority and responsibility and frequently are called upon to enact legislation that changes the laws of the land.

It makes no sense, to allow a person who has broken those same laws to take part in the definition of new laws.

We propose that Members of Parliament and Members of the House of Lords be subject to CRB checking and any such persons who have been found guilty of crimes more severe than, say, a parking offence be excluded from holding office as either a Member of Parliament or a Member of the House of Lords.

Further we propose that any Members of the House of Lords who have been found guilty of crimes more severe than, say, a parking offence be stripped of their title and suffer removal of their associated privileges.

Works for me, would you mind starting it?

If I start it then I have to put my name and I don't particularly want the users of the forum knowing what that is, as moderators aren't universally liked for some reason.

I'll cheerfully sign it once it's up though.

no matter what, the government will not do anything that might jeopardise their chance of getting into the Lords, they will look after themselves.

Moderators not liked, who said that, they should hounded off the forum.:D

I think a new one, incorporating the lords, would be more effective and we would be able to word it accordingly. Not only should the CRB check be included, but also something about MP/Peers conduct and stripping them of any power should they be imprisoned etc.

You can't have MPs stripped of office for criminal offences; that would be undemocratic. MPs aren't appointed, they're elected, and can only be unelected.

You could have a law that says any MP who is convicted must immediately stand again in a by-election, but you could not disqualify him from standing.

Archived