Dad with Angina and AF?

LNRV

My dad has just been diagnosed with AF (Heart problem) and Angina, does anyone know anything about either? He is 64 and still working full time, he won;t stop work as the doctors have told him to act normally so until they say its time to stop he will then (Worried)

I have suffered with af and am only young but for me i could not work even walk properly ads my heart wouldn't let me and felt so fragile.

I was working away in london and it was christmas eve and my heart decided not to beat properly and i calapsed.

I was admitted to hospital and was told half of my heart had stopped and i was at high risk of blood clots and a heart attack beacause my heart was beating too fast ect. MY heart was the same for about 7 days then one morning i woke up and it had rest its self and was normal.

I have had loads of tests and they do not know why it happened but i would tell him to take it very easy and not over do it as i know what he is going through and its not nice !

Good luck !

my dad is a very proud man and wouldn;t want any of his 3 girls going with him for us to worry. My oldest sister had something similar, she had about 3 op's and it has sorted hers considerably, my other sister also has AF so its a family thing and worrying, especially with dad as he is 64 got AF, Angina, Asthma, butyou know what parents are like, they know best :-)

My gran was diagnosed with AF in 2006 after suffering a TIA (Mini-stroke). She's now on a multitude of tablets but more specifically for the heart, she's on Digoxin and Warfarin. The Warfarin is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) to try and ensure that she doesn't throw any more clots. The heart not beating at a regular rhythm (fibrilating) means it is more likely that the person suffering AF will throw a clot, thus is more likely to suffer a stroke. The blood thinners reduce that possibility. In my gran's case, she started on a daily asprin before "upgrading" to warfarin. If your dad's put on warfarin, he'll be issued with a anticoagulation therapy book (little yellow thing) and have to have periodic blood test to check his INR levels. We used to attend the clinic at the Hallamshire, but our local docs now covers this so we switched clinics there.

You'll probably be also put in for a couple of additional tests. EKGs, potentially MRIs. Over time, they'll advise you of exactly how servere the AF is and if there's any other stuff happening. He may also eventually be put on diuretics - seen as the heart will no longer be beating "at full strength" then fluids can gradually increase and possibly accumulate around the lower limbs (feet/legs) it becomes a problem if fluid accumulates and settles on the lungs. He'll probably be feeling more tired from now on, as again his heart won't be beating "normally".

Your best bet is to do your research, question but trust your doctors and avoid stress as much as possible. Whilst my gran has constant AF, I've been advised that there are other froms. With her, we've been told that its a degenerative condition and it will gradually get worse. Though of course everyone's different. Your doctor's probably advised to keep working as it's the least stressful thing to do i.e if you can continue working and not dwell on it then all the better. If he's not getting down and tiring himself out with it then it should be fine.

AF isn't really rare and there are plenty of people who've got heart conditions who still lead really productive lives (e.g Paul O' Grady has a heart condition and is on Warfarin.) People seem to hear the words "heart condition" or "heart attack" and think it's instantly a death sentance where as this isn't necessarily the case. Yes, it will probably gradually change his life a bit but as you get more information and can make more informed decisions, you'll learn to live with it.

Archived