Tony Meehan has died

mojoworking

It won't mean much to most people on the forum I know, but Tony Meehan, the original drummer with the Shadows has died.

He played on all their early classic hits such as Apache, FBI, Man Of Mystery etc., before leaving the band in 1961 to score a few hits as a duo with Jet Harris (Diamonds, Scarlet O'Hara etc)

Before the Beatles, the Shadows were the biggest band in Britain and of course they backed Cliff for many years (but let's not hold that against them).

Tony Meehan was 62

Originally posted by Bloomdido

I had a copy of something called 'Stars fell on Stockton' as a young kid. Was it a B-side or did I make it up 'cos I was an only child? Anyway, I used to listen to their stuff and he was a good drummer.

That was the B-Side of Wonderful Land from 1962 (post Tony Meehan)

The Shadows were well known for their "witty" titles and Stars Fell On Stockton was a Geordie nod to the song Stars Fell On Alabama

• 1 month later...
Is HANK MARVIN still around?

...before I was rudely interrupted!

Hank is certainly still around but he lives in Perth, Western Australia these days and has done for many years. The Shadows re-formed 2 years ago and played a UK tour ending at the London Palladium. He also still tours and records under his own name.

Hank has been a Jehovah's Witness for a long time and actually goes round door knocking. I've run into him a couple of time when he turns up at our Perth offices. If you can get him talking about music and steer the conversation away from religion he's great to talk to. A lovely man and very funny too!

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, but I've been, ahem, indisposed! :)

• 6 years later...
...before I was rudely interrupted!

Hank is certainly still around but he lives in Perth, Western Australia these days and has done for many years. The Shadows re-formed 2 years ago and played a UK tour ending at the London Palladium. He also still tours and records under his own name.

Hank has been a Jehovah's Witness for a long time and actually goes round door knocking. I've run into him a couple of time when he turns up at our Perth offices. If you can get him talking about music and steer the conversation away from religion he's great to talk to. A lovely man and very funny too!

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, but I've been, ahem, indisposed! :)

Glad to hear Hank is still around albeit in Oz. One of my early sixties favourites in my Sheffield days. I now live in New York and was married to a lady who became a Jehovah's Witness,so that was the end of that marriage!

Does Hank use his stage name or his real name - Brian Rankin- as those people are not supposed to twll fibs!

Glad to hear Hank is still around albeit in Oz. One of my early sixties favourites in my Sheffield days. I now live in New York and was married to a lady who became a Jehovah's Witness,so that was the end of that marriage!

Does Hank use his stage name or his real name - Brian Rankin- as those people are not supposed to twll fibs!

Note that this is an old thread.....6 years since last post, 7 years since it was started.. Several things may have changed by now........

Archived