Time to buy those on benefits a house each?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/nov/11/rental-market-reaches-crisis-point

The rental market reaches crisis point

With tenants fighting for every vacancy, soaring demand has pushed rent costs higher than the typical monthly mortgage

The economy is in a bad way. The housing benefit bill keeps rising, the buy to let market is booming. Working for a living is madness, productive work don't put food on the table or a roof over your head.

You want to make it in the UK, you need to get on the gravy train. You need to take advantage of those government subsidies. Housing benefit for landlords, tax credits that allow companies to pay staff less. etc. etc.

And the government needs to save 'money', it needs to reduce the amount of 'currency' it spends. Because at the end of the day, money is a means of exchange that has a store of value, and by eck £sterling ain't that. Tis nowt but a currency, and an intrinsically worthless one at that, backed up by a promise of other peoples labour, without their approval.

So back to the thread title...

Lets buy people on benefits a house each.

Such a simple idea.

Figures produced for Guardian Money by Halifax show the average monthly rent across the UK has risen to £722. Meanwhile, what it describes as the average monthly buying cost (mortgage payments plus insurance and other costs) has fallen to £600.

We pay out more in housing benefit for these people to rent, than people have to pay to buy a house with a mortgage. Time to cut out the middle men, time to reduce the government's costs.

Time to buy everyone a house each and save money. And after 25 year it'll be paid off, else we'll be paying even more in housing benefit to landlords forever.

Let's buy everyone on benefits a house. It makes financial sense!

Yay! More reasons to upset the Mail readers!

Buy me a nice House in Hillsborough if you want, close to the Buses, Trams and Wadsley Bridge Internet Exchange, well close enough to get decent speeds :D

Please note, I am NOT being serious with that last bit!

Buy me a nice House in Hillsborough if you want, close to the Buses, Trams and Wadsley Bridge Internet Exchange, well close enough to get decent speeds :D

I think we should mate. It'll be cheaper in the long run. I'm sick to the death of the government wasting money. They should stop playing silly buggers and buy everyone a house.

Job done.

I'll cease my "rants", but poor old andyofborg will have to find some other form of entertainment :D

Slight problem. Many working at minimum wage would just pack their job in.

Or are there conditions?

People claim more in tax credits than they do in JSA.

If they pack their jobs in, all the better. We will save even more money! :D

And close to the pubs.:roll:

Which benefits would qualify? Do you mean the house they're already living in?

Is this a new Right to Buy policy except that the taxpayer buys it for you?

This is the 'right to be bought', I'm the Anti-Thatcher.

Now there are no council houses left for the government to sell off, instead of paying more to rent houses on the behalf of benefits claimants in the private sector, we might aswell just buy them houses outright.

All benefits except for tax credits.

Are there enough houses in Sheffield to go round? Most council properties are flats and a lot of people are happy to rent. If you rent you get the chance of a transfer. If you own you have to sell and buy again, which can be expensive. Private landlords may be sharks but so are estate agents.

Sheffield would still need a lot pf private-rented properties for students, people who are working here temporarily, et al.

And you'd be giving someone a house just if, for example, that person gets Child Benefit for just one child under your benefits eligibility test.

Archived