Where is the best place to visit in the peak district , and why?

Lathkill Dale - not a big walk, by the river below the pub.

My Mother's ashes are buried there, in a quiet place above water level (she was a very private person) - I liked to think she could look down on the beauty of the valley :)

We first went there about fifteen years ago, the clarity of the water, and the colour of the water (due the minerals in the rocks(?) ) took my breath away - I was entranced.

We go back two or three times a year, sometimes have lunch in The Lathkill Hotel :)

Lathkill Dale - not a big walk, by the river below the pub.

We go back two or three times a year, sometimes have lunch in The Lathkill Hotel :)

I can't understand the Lathkill Hotel ... they're sitting on a gold mine so far as custom's concerned but the place is a shambles. The food's nothing to shout about either ... I've eaten there several times. :huh:

agree with all of above , castleton is great but only if its 9am on a sunday or a weekday , heaving throngs are not my cup of tea, also monsal head - again similar i guess that 8am on weekend morning its most peaceful place on earth, with only the crows nicking out of bins as your company , otherwise its again heaving crowds come 12pm . but then again few beauty spots are left that are truly peaceful i guess..... victims of their own success

I love Monsal Head, particularly if I'm chucking in a few miles on my bike. A great place to rest when you've cycled up there for a beer/char/coffee (+bun...)

I wonder who's responsible for the benches on the far side of the car park overlooking the view though. Last time I was up there, bearing in mind it's a popular spot, the benches were in a disgraceful state of repair.:(

I love Monsal Head, particularly if I'm chucking in a few miles on my bike. A great place to rest when you've cycled up there for a beer/char/coffee (+bun...)

I wonder who's responsible for the benches on the far side of the car park overlooking the view though. Last time I was up there, bearing in mind it's a popular spot, the benches were in a disgraceful state of repair.:(

I noticed this too ... seems a bit of a shame. All the benches are dedicated to people (dead ones) ... maybe it's difficult to replace them as it'd involve contacting the relatives of the deceased?

Bit of a dilema for you there.Promoting the Peak District but complaing that the place is too crowded already! Why not try the Yorkshire Dales instead.A bit further away,but much nicer,more impresive countryside and big enough to be able to find some wilderness.

I agree with Yorkshire Dales. I was surprised at the ease of just melting away and not seeing another soul. It was amazing! Although, a bit of a drive so a weekend is a must.

Archived