Ford focus glow plug light on

Can anyone help?? I have a mk1 ford focus tdi v reg and the glow plug light started coming on whilst driving and looses all power but the engine keeps running. then switch off engine and restart and its fine again until the glow plug light comes back on. can anyone help????

I had a Mondeo that had this problem. I had to get it to a Ford dealer where they "plugged it in to their computer" which identified the fault. I had to get it to the garage though when the glow plug light came on and not turn the engine off when I got there, because as you have said when you restart the engine it starts fine. Unfortunately I can't remeber what the exact problem was. Sorry.

On a mondeo chances are it was a tdci engine and not the older tddi version so the problems are very different, on the newer engine it means all sorts of stuff.

on the older tddi engines it would normally just mean that the glow plugs were faulty but they cause poor starting and not the problems you mentioned.

The glow plug light is the fault indicator light on the tddi focus.The main cause of the loss of power[but engine idling ok] is a faulty accelerator pedal,it has an electronic sensor at the end which is connected to a multiplug which controls the injection system it costs about £90 from the dealer and is simple to fit[20 mins ish]PLEASE NOTE the replacement may have a small lug on it which yours doesn't it is the correct one but you will need to remove it to get it to fit[You will see it straight away when you compare the two],the pedal is only made of plastic and is easy to cut off with a junior hacksaw,just a couple of bolts hold the pedal in place.Hope this helps:)

I had a similar problem with my Mk3 Mondeo TDCI. Flashing glow plug light, no turbo but car still running, was plugged in and diagnosed as an EGR valve problem. EGR cleaned, two days later engine management light came on.

Long story short, new EGR Valve fixed the problem. And left me £200 quid out of pocket.

From memory l think the fault code for the accelerator fault is three flahes of the glowplug light then a pause,then repeats again.if you turn the ignition off and on again sometimes you can clear the fault and get started BUT it will return,the last time it happened to me l was doing the speed limit{ish lol] on the M1 in the third lane lost all power,just managed to roll onto the hard shoulder,absolutley terrifying l can tell you,managed to get back home.This is a common fault on tddi focus's a simple fix but could be costly if left.

Archived