Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

No such luck for me. I have to get in whatever the weather, if it means walking in a blizzard. Suppose it depends on how important/needed you are, I guess.... :P

Don't kid yourself.....no one is irreplaceable.

Nobody is irreplaceable - and (in the event of a 3ft overnight snowfall one might hope employers might be a bit relaxed about when people show for work)

BUT: It does snow in winter in the UK.

Sometimes: It snows a lot.

You've all heard about snow tyres, haven't you?

If you're caught out - Your fault!

AS those who know me will be aware, I was in Oberbayern for the last 3 winters (and those were far from the first snowy winters I encountered.)

I don't have (real) Snow tyres on my car this year - it does have American 'Mud and Snow' tyres - but they're crap!

Then again, they're better than British summer tyres.

And I don't expect to see too much snow here.

I hope not my tomatoes would probably not like snow.

It depends how bad it is, I always try to get into work. I live about 5.5 miles from the office and tried to walk in last year when it was knee depth and was still snowing. I fell over 4 times before I reached the end of the road, which is not good at my age, so I just gave up and headed home for a warm bath, dry out and a cup of tea.

I live a good ten miles from my work and when it snows that badly i just can't get in. I have built up lots of hours on my flexi time to cover it should it happen again, but I know that the people who can't get in without flexi time will still get paid exactly the same as the people who have struggled to work and held the fort.

Don't kid yourself.....no one is irreplaceable.

Try getting treated at hospital if half the staff don't turn up.

They may not be irreplaceable, but they can't be replaced at short notice if they don't tip up due to some snow and peoples lives really do depend on them.

Nobody is irreplaceable - and (in the event of a 3ft overnight snowfall one might hope employers might be a bit relaxed about when people show for work)

BUT: It does snow in winter in the UK.

Sometimes: It snows a lot.

You've all heard about snow tyres, haven't you?

If you're caught out - Your fault!

How's that then, are we supposed to be personally fitting snow tyres to buses and the tram? You did see that the tram, the buses and the trains all stopped running last year when it snowed heavily. And snow tyres don't help you when the road is blocked by HGVs who don't have them...

Archived