Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

If you can do the same work at home as you would do in the office, then obviously this is a yes! Many people who work in offices these days have mobiles and laptops for homeworking - Both myself and my partner do, and most people I know... If you work in a industry where you have to actually be there to do the job, I guess that this is a grey area... It would be quite different if the roads could be kept open, and pavements gritted, but it seems that this just isn't possible in Sheffield and I have no idea why!

I guess if you want to take one of your leave days then, as an emergency, it should be ok.

I tried getting into work last year and one day and, unfortunately, it just wasn't possible. I did at least try though. My boss let me take the day as annual leave. I'm not so important in my office that they can't go a day without me, and I'm always contactable by phone if they need me.

A day with pay, just because it's snowed though? No. And for those who say "what if you have no annual leave left?" Either save a few days for emergencies (we all have them) or ask if you can bring a day forward from your following year's leave. Most leave years run from April to March and it's very rare you wouldn't have at least a few days leave to take in between that time.

How's that then, are we supposed to be personally fitting snow tyres to buses and the tram? You did see that the tram, the buses and the trains all stopped running last year when it snowed heavily. And snow tyres don't help you when the road is blocked by HGVs who don't have them...
Some people view it that when there is a forecast for heavy snow, you get up a couple of hours earlier to set off for work, and if necessary walk 10 miles through it.

Id say, in the cases of transport links being stopped, employers should not expect all staff to be in. If its not safe to drive, its not safe to walk. Also, if the police have advised only necessary travel should be made, employers should not expect those who drive to come in. I wouldnt expect to be paid for not being able to come in either, but if I was or didnt have to take holiday time, it be a nice bonus.

Now, if its a dusting of snow (less than half a inch) thats a different story. Most of that will melt by the time you either leave work or wake in the morning.

A day with pay, just because it's snowed though? No. And for those who say "what if you have no annual leave left?" Either save a few days for emergencies (we all have them) or ask if you can bring a day forward from your following year's leave. Most leave years run from April to March and it's very rare you wouldn't have at least a few days leave to take in between that time.

Its what happens in the US, if businesses dont close, but you cant get in. Id say the US gets a lot more snow than the UK does. Though in the US, the State can declare a state of emergency for the region, only keeping hospitals and police open. Businesses then claim lose of income back and pay employees when the whole places close.

I also think more workplaces here need to establish a central dial in line for weather/emergency updates, so staff can call in to see if they are required to come in or not.

Some people view it that when there is a forecast for heavy snow, you get up a couple of hours earlier to set off for work, and if necessary walk 10 miles through it.

My office is currently in Nottingham, to walk here, in heavy snow if the trains weren't running and the roads in Sheffield were impassable would take about 16 hours.

I can work from home as it happens, but if I couldn't and it wasn't possible to drive or get the train then there'd be no sensible way of getting here.

Archived