Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

Are we sayin that in 2011, people should risk life and limb to get to work, if it snows this winter?

Nobody is saying that. What they are saying is that people should make reasonable efforts to get in.

If they don't the employee is quite right not to pay them.

In my case yes and has, mind it is a 100 mile round trip. When the a57 was shut last year I had about a week off.
You were lucky. I was "shut with it" and had to walk home :D

My caring employer did not have any choice in the matter, as with my car stuck for several days and me stranded overnight, I don't see how I could have realistically made it over to near M'hall, 15 miles away, for love or money, over the next few days.

Sooo, SYP are 'ready' this year...so I've been told by Look North this morning. We'll see, shall we?

When the snow came down last year, I gave everyone the option to go home, including those who live nearby, yes the business needs to carry on, but my staff's safety was more important. That said, my business is one for profit, not a care / service provider so we could close.

The staff that live in working distance chose to stay, those who don't, didnt.

A typical employer would require staff to make all reasonable efforts to get into work. What could be construed as reasonable however is more complicated. Its reasonable to expect a healthy 25 year old to walk a couple of miles , it isn't if the employee is old & suffers from medical problems or would otherwise put themselves in unreasonable danger. It is a judgement call that has to be made with full knowledge of the circumstances. Last year on of my colleagues who lived in Anston was verbally bullied into making an attempt to get to work against his better judgement when the area was almost cut off by heavy snow , result was he crashed his car. His insurers are now claiming part of the cost of repair against his employer.

Are we sayin that in 2011, people should risk life and limb to get to work, if it snows this winter?

Sheesh, whatever happened to humanity?

Obviously you've no idea what owning a business is about. Has it ocurred to you that paying wages and benefits to employees who wouldn't show up for work during snowy weather that could last for a few weeks would seriously undermine not only efficiency and production, place an unfair burden on other employees who do show up for work and necessitate those employees having to be paid overtime to keep up production or........ the alternative of not paying overtime resulting in falling sales, unhappy customers, possibly canceled orders and a loss of revenue and profits that would mean lay offs.

If you dont want to make some effort to get to work, call in that you wont be coming in and the boss answers the phone then put the phone down and get your own ass into work. If he/she can make the effort so can you.

Obviously you've no idea what owning a business is about. Has it ocurred to you that paying wages and benefits to employees who wouldn't show up for work during snowy weather that could last for a few weeks would seriously undermine not only efficiency and production, place an unfair burden on other employees who do show up for work and necessitate those employees having to be paid overtime to keep up production or........ the alternative of not paying overtime resulting in falling sales, unhappy customers, possibly canceled orders and a loss of revenue and profits that would mean lay offs.

If you dont want to make some effort to get to work, call in that you wont be coming in and the boss answers the phone then put the phone down and get your own ass into work. If he/she can make the effort so can you.

Not if the boss lives close and/or owns a four wheel drive while the employee lives a lot further away and has no access to transport. Perhaps this boss of yours ought to go and fetch them ....

Archived