Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

Not if the boss lives close and/or owns a four wheel drive while the employee lives a lot further away and has no access to transport. Perhaps this boss of yours ought to go and fetch them ....

Certainly either picking up stranded employees using a 4 x 4 or even renting same to pick them up sounds reasonable enough and it wouldn't mean lost productivity and sales.

The OP seems to be suggesting though that employees should just be paid for not showing up and making no effort to show up when it snows.

When i lived in Montreal, Canada I saw a couple of horrendous winters with snowfalls that would never be seen in Britain. The whole city didnt grind to a halt and everyone just stay at home because it was too hazardous to go outside and make the effort

I never went into work when it snowed my employers were fine with it, this is why: my 2 children went to school and there childminders 8 miles away from where we live, Ithen travelled 4 miles to work, and repeated this when I was going home. It was not so much my safety that they were worried about it was 2 young children in toe.

I don't think you read boroughgal's post before you commented did you? :)

:)

Don't kid yourself.....no one is irreplaceable.[/QUOTe]

Can't be arsed really to go into this. Of *course* no one is ultimately irreplaceable. But lots of vital roles are impossible to fill at short notice without intensive training.

I was actually making a tongue in cheek comment, hence the smiley face. But you're not really equipped to comment on my replacability.

:)

Obviously you've no idea what owning a business is about. Has it ocurred to you that paying wages and benefits to employees who wouldn't show up for work during snowy weather that could last for a few weeks would seriously undermine not only efficiency and production, place an unfair burden on other employees who do show up for work and necessitate those employees having to be paid overtime to keep up production or........ the alternative of not paying overtime resulting in falling sales, unhappy customers, possibly canceled orders and a loss of revenue and profits that would mean lay offs.

If you dont want to make some effort to get to work, call in that you wont be coming in and the boss answers the phone then put the phone down and get your own ass into work. If he/she can make the effort so can you.

In the UK, we are so poorly prepared for the snow that falls 9 years in 10, you'd realise why people don't get in... No public transport means no lower paid support staff... Bad roads, which are at times closed (as A57 and dronfield bypass were last year) mean many can't drive in... Basically, this means it's not just your business that is closed, but businesses across the region where affected are closed too... You could go in, but then you'd find your clients were at home... Why the UK goes on like this, I do not know... But every year we are as ill prepared for bad weather as we were the year before...

This is all very clear cut to me.

The OP's attitude is the reason that he/she is unemployable.

I live in one of the worst hit areas for snow in Sheffield yet I always manage to get to work to make sure my staff turn up. Any member of staff that doesn't turn up without a valid excuse other than "I can't get in because of the snow!" is sacked.:)

In the UK, we are so poorly prepared for the snow that falls 9 years in 10, you'd realise why people don't get in... No public transport means no lower paid support staff... Bad roads, which are at times closed (as A57 and dronfield bypass were last year) mean many can't drive in... Basically, this means it's not just your business that is closed, but businesses across the region where affected are closed too... You could go in, but then you'd find your clients were at home... Why the UK goes on like this, I do not know... But every year we are as ill prepared for bad weather as we were the year before...

So that means there are no snow plows or crews to clear the main roads and highways? :o

Do they ever salt the highways or streets whenever they are cleared?

Salt disolves ice formation which would enable buses to operate.

I've seen all this happening in Canada.

The salt does play havoc with vehicle bodywork though

This is all very clear cut to me.

The OP's attitude is the reason that he/she is unemployable.

I live in one of the worst hit areas for snow in Sheffield yet I always manage to get to work to make sure my staff turn up. Any member of staff that doesn't turn up without a valid excuse other than "I can't get in because of the snow!" is sacked.:)

What? :o:o

Sacked? :o:o

Who on earth do you think you are? :rant::rant:

What if one of your employees falls over in the snow and dies, how will you feel then?

So that means there are no snow plows or crews to clear the main roads and highways? :o

Do they ever salt the highways or streets whenever they are cleared?

Salt disolves ice formation which would enable buses to operate.

I've seen all this happening in Canada.

The salt does play havoc with vehicle bodywork though

We aren't set up for long snowy winters unlike canada and most of europe. So a couple of weeks of snow causes us to run out of salt, and heavy snowfall can still block roads as we don't have sufficient plows or salting vehicles.

And of course once that starts the crews to drive the vehicles can't get to work anymore and so the situation gets worse until it thaws (normally after a few days).

You also get abandoned vehicles blocking roads that would otherwise be passable with care or with decent tyres.

Archived