Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

What? :o:o

Sacked? :o:o

Who on earth do you think you are? :rant::rant:

What if one of your employees falls over in the snow and dies, how will you feel then?

Since it's all in his imaginary world he could personally save them by flying an air ambulance to them and using his medical skills. It's easy when it's all make believe.

If police and emergency services personnel can make it into work and even more so are definitely required to do so what's the problem with people in other jobs.

I wonder what love-rat would think if she had to make a police call.

love-rat: Hello is that the police station? I think someone's trying to break into my house.

Police sergeant: Sorry we cant respond. All our personnel are out today because it's snowing and they didnt want to try to come in in case they they got hurt :hihi:

I didn't see a single police car go up my street during the heavy snow last year, and I live about 200 metres from a police station... Whilst cycling to work (possible on a mountain bike albeit difficult) I saw two moving vehicles when I'd normally see hundreds!

So that means there are no snow plows or crews to clear the main roads and highways? :o

Do they ever salt the highways or streets whenever they are cleared?

Salt disolves ice formation which would enable buses to operate.

I've seen all this happening in Canada.

The salt does play havoc with vehicle bodywork though

We always run out of salt within about 5 miles of spreading - we have one snow plough in Sheffield (or did for the trams, eventually, last year - may not be ours?) and the pavements are rarely salted... We have a weird law where if a business or individual home owner clears and grits outside their premises/home and someone slips, they can be sued, so people leave what the council doesn't clear... The buses are apparently inadequate for travelling in snow, particularly where a hill is involved (Sheffield has many hills!)...

Seriously, we are at standstill here, whereas other european countries such as Germany get the snow cleared and carry on as soon as they can - we seem to wallow in it - although I'd prefer to have it cleared and carry on! I hate snow and the fact everything stops for it!

We always run out of salt within about 5 miles of spreading - we have one snow plough in Sheffield (or did for the trams, eventually, last year - may not be ours?) and the pavements are rarely salted... We have a weird law where if a business or individual home owner clears and grits outside their premises/home and someone slips, they can be sued, so people leave what the council doesn't clear... The buses are apparently inadequate for travelling in snow, particularly where a hill is involved (Sheffield has many hills!)...

Seriously, we are at standstill here, whereas other european countries such as Germany get the snow cleared and carry on as soon as they can - we seem to wallow in it - although I'd prefer to have it cleared and carry on! I hate snow and the fact everything stops for it!

Seems like the Sheffield council are sadly remiss in their responsibilities. Do the council hold regular public meeting?. If so people should go and raise merry hell.

As for the buses tire chains would take care of the hills. They fit them on very large trailer trucks here when driving up hills is necessary. If they work on great big trucks they should work on passenger buses.

If the city is financially unable to function in extreme winter conditions then surely the government should provide funding. Most of the big snow only falls in the midlands and the north anyway. It shouldn't be a burden on the national budget

You exaggerate, but we don't keep a massive fleet of ploughs (idle for most of the year, costing 100 grand each) and we don't have anywhere to store a large stockpile of salt.

Seems like the Sheffield council are sadly remiss in their responsibilities. Do the council hold regular public meeting?. If so people should go and raise merry hell.

And ask that our tax is spent on that fleet of mostly useless vehicles?

As for the buses tire chains would take care of the hills. They fit them on very large trailer trucks here when driving up hills is necessary. If they work on great big trucks they should work on passenger buses.

They would work. But I'm not sure of the logistics, the cost or the extra training required.

If the city is financially unable to function in extreme winter conditions then surely the government should provide funding. Most of the big snow only falls in the midlands and the north anyway. It shouldn't be a burden on the national budget

When it falls heavily enough to be a problem it often falls across the entire country. And I'd guess that the cost of some people not getting to work is less than the cost of fitting out every city to be able to cope with what is an unusual occurrence.

I didn't see a single police car go up my street during the heavy snow last year, and I live about 200 metres from a police station...
In fairness to SYP (and to mitigate the recent report about their failings in Anston last year), they were on-site in Anston within about 2 hours of the situation starting, at the cross-roads just after the Shell petrol station.

The problem is that it was just two guys in an estate Focus panda, and nothing/noone else. Radioing in a plough and/or gritter would have been the obvious thing to do, which I would assume they did at the time, but none materialised, for whatever reasons (most probably those already amply explained by Cyclone above, i.e. none available)

Considering the scale of the developing situation, short of directing traffic, there wasn't a whole lot they could do at the time.

Archived