Should a caring employer allow you to stay at home when it snows?

Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should staff be allowed to stay at home if it snows? (on full pay)

• Yes, it is 2011 for goodness sake
    • No - work needs to be done

They probably had to stay in Anston if they were in a focus and didn't leave sharpish.
I saw them leave station a good while later, heading towards Red Lion/Todwick. Can't remember the time as I was still busy trying to get the car from near the Trooper pub (reversing sliding down from South Anston church) back across the A57 to the old (lower) part of North Anston. And struggling mightily (took me 3 hours - with help - to do about 500 yards :gag:)

We hear about staff being used and abused, yet rarely do we hear about the milk of human kindness.

I do think that employers could show some humanity by allowing their staff to stay at home if the snow comes down, why?

Colds and sniffles

If one member of staff goes to work with a cold, he or she could pass it onto their work colleagues. As it becomes colder and more snowier, people are more likely to suffer a cold and as such infect his/her workmates and causing mass infections

Treating staff with fairness

Staff work better when they are treat with dignity and respect. If staff can stay at home by the fire when it snows, then it engenders goodwill from that member of staff. Only nasty employers would expect staff to go into work when it snows.

Health and safety, trips and falls

When the snow comes down, the pavement can become very slippy. Not only can this cause an injury to a member of staff, the resulting accident would cause a member of staff to be off work potentially for a few months. better to avoid this problem by allowing staff to stay at home.

Also, not to mention the mental humiliation should a member of staff fall on the ice, the resulting embarrasment could result in that member of staff needing councelling and time off work dealing with stress and anguish.

Colds and sniffles

I wasn't aware that snow caused the common cold :huh:

Treating staff with fairness

Instead of staying at home by the fire, adding to the employee's fuel bills, maybe the employer should just provide heating in the workplace.

Health and safety, trips and falls

Maybe the employer should just clear a safe path into the workplace and spread some rock salt/grit.

Really though, are these the best arguments you could think of for staying at home in the snow? You couldn't stretch your mind to things like childcare issues or elderly family members needing help?

Absolutely I did, the ones who stayed, I got them lunch

Don’t you think that sends out the message …………. "You may as well stop at home" ......... Last year we had some exceptional weather but generally speaking if people can’t get in it should be stand to it, work extra to make up the hours or use an holiday day ………… only a unreasonable employer would say you are not getting paid full stop.

Last year I walked an hour there and a hour back and got mocked by all those that stayed at home and got paid ……….. What do you think I am going to do this year

You exaggerate, but we don't keep a massive fleet of ploughs (idle for most of the year, costing 100 grand each) and we don't have anywhere to store a large stockpile of salt.

One of our local farmers was stopped by the police last year because he had fitted a plough to the front of his Land Rover and was clearing the local roads. He was told in no uncertain terms to cease and clear off home.

"elf & Safety" you see.

Don’t you think that sends out the message …………. "You may as well stop at home" ......... Last year we had some exceptional weather but generally speaking if people can’t get in it should be stand to it, work extra to make up the hours or use an holiday day ………… only a unreasonable employer would say you are not getting paid full stop.

Last year I walked an hour there and a hour back and got mocked by all those that stayed at home and got paid ……….. What do you think I am going to do this year

I only paid them for the hours where I chose to send them home, if they didnt get in the next day, they used a holiday day.

I only paid them for the hours where I chose to send them home, if they didnt get in the next day, they used a holiday day.

Now that’s a different story, my little story happened on the first day we had the heaviest snow….. after that they closed the factory and told people to stay at home ……………. We all got paid, but it’s what to do on the day when some have clearly made a lot more effort than others to get to work.

Archived