Should we do away with the Whips?

No worries.

I seem to have re-posted instead of editing... do you want to delete the surplus?

I'm contributing so I'm not allowed to moderate.

If you report the one you want removing, another mod will deal with it.

If you have a better description than dictatorship I'll cheerfully use that

Fair point. There probably is a word, but I cannot think of it. Something along the lines of an <old-boy>ocracy. ;)

and I think your 80% is a tad high, 31% elected my MP, 31% ought to be able to remove them

It was deliberately chosen as high to be a figure that he could not reasonably argue with.

but my brain has packed up, so I'm off to bed...

I had already gone. ;)

I'm contributing so I'm not allowed to moderate.

A very sensible policy, but surely trimming out a duplicate post isn't moderating. :?

Upon what data do you base that assertion?

I think it is more true to say that most people don't vote for a person, they vote against the party they don't want.

When I was studying politics way back in the olden days (before the internet was thought of), we saw various surveys carried out by various organisations which listed the influences people cited when deciding how to vote - tradition, family, social background, perceived party policies and personality of the party leader all scored more highly than the identity of the local candidate.

A survey carried out by the Electoral Commission in 2007 asked people to choose the 2 or 3 main factors affecting how they chose how to vote. It showed, of those polled, 40% chose how to vote principally based on their perception that the party best represented their interests, 34% on party policies, 9% on the qualities of the party leader and 7% on the qualities of the local candidate - only 8% said it was the least worst option - (these are just selected options - there were others)

That's what I base my assertion on - on what do you base yours?

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/65284/Audit-4-Report-Web-2007-03-27.pdf

My knowledge of IT is even less than my knowledge of politics so that gobbledgook above may be pointless

if so, go to the Electoral Commission website, click on "publications and research", search "policy and research", in the "search for reports about" box scroll down to "public awareness" and on page two (when I did it) it is entitled "an audit of political engagement 4"

Hope that works - I get a bit lost on computers

Archived