Police powers to sentence

hi i am just watching police zero tolerance on telly and one bobby says that judges dont give long prison terms i think once a person as been found guilty of a crime it should be the police and the victim or family to say how long they should spend locked upand no appeal sytem they do what they get no parole, or licence see how the crime rate drops then

I'm sorry, but I disagree absolutely.

The police detect the crime.

The prosecuting agency (be it as it may) decide whether

or not to prosecute the crime.

The courts decide whether the accused is guilty ... and if the accused is not guilty, that's it!

If the crime is prosecuted successfully and the accused is found guilty, then the court will decide on a suitable sentence. (Their job)

That's the way it works under the law of England and Wales.

If you'd like to see a variation in the law, please be specific and please confirm whether the variation would apply to you, too.

But their hands are tied by stupid laws which don't reflect the severity of the crime in some cases particularly if the smirking murderer pleads guilty - he get's a reduced sentence while laughing at the victims family who are in court:roll:

hi i am just watching police zero tolerance on telly and one bobby says that judges dont give long prison terms i think once a person as been found guilty of a crime it should be the police and the victim or family to say how long they should spend locked upand no appeal sytem they do what they get no parole, or licence see how the crime rate drops then

I don't think it would cause the crime rate to drop and I don't think victims of crime should get to decide on sentencing. It's a lousy idea.

I'm sorry, but I disagree absolutely.

The police detect the crime.

The prosecuting agency (be it as it may) decide whether

or not to prosecute the crime.

The courts decide whether the accused is guilty ... and if the accused is not guilty, that's it!

If the crime is prosecuted successfully and the accused is found guilty, then the court will decide on a suitable sentence. (Their job)

That's the way it works under the law of England and Wales.

If you'd like to see a variation in the law, please be specific and please confirm whether the variation would apply to you, too.

I agree; a very lucid and well-written post, if I may say so.

Archived