The pressure's on to cut fuel taxes, apparently.

apparently on the radio today it mentioned brits living abroad were happy to be going home cos of the fuel prices

one mentioned was a woman in spain

Country Unleaded 95 petrol price per litre in euros October 2011 Diesel price per litre in euros October 2011

Austria 1.35 1.31

Belgium 1.44 1.30

Czech Rep 1.32 1.32

Denmark 1.47 1.34

France 1.48 1.30

Germany 1.49 1.36

Greece 1.59 1.40

Hungary 1.19 1.18

Ireland 1.50 1.43

Italy 1.63 1.52

Latvia 1.24 1.24

Luxembourg 1.32 1.18

Netherlands 1.55 1.32

Norway 1.78 1.65

Poland 1.22 1.20

Portugal 1.50 1.35

Slovakia 1.46 1.35

Slovenia 1.31 1.24

Spain 1.33 1.25

Sweden 1.48 1.53

Switzerland 1.38 1.40

United Kingdom1.58 1.62

Unleaded on the left, diesel on the right

Cut Fuel Taxes !

Apparently there`s preasure for it.

Are you for motherhood and apple pie ? ! ?

Let`s be honest, any fuel tax cut will mean one of two things, either a cut in services, or an increase in income tax.

Even if you forget about traffic congestion I`d rather they put tax on fuel than on my income, simple as.

What about people who don`t pay income tax ?

Well to be frank I don`t understand how anyone could earn so little that they don`t pay any income tax (or be on benefits) and afford to run a car.

Worse, what about all those people in the black economy, you know Billy the Bodging Builder who wants paying in cash, so he doesn`t pay any tax, whilst we all pay for his/his families services.

Forget that.

The fact he can`t avoid paying tax when he fills his van with fuel, well that`s a bleedin` good thing, and the more he has to pay, the better.

Have you thought that an increase in fuel duty may result in them taking less in..due to people cutting down on the amount they drive..?

We need higher fuel cost, so this cuts the numbers of cars on the road.

People have to say "Do I need to use the car?"

Have a think, analyse the journey

And say "No"

We do need to be paying more for fuel as it is the fairest way, if it was £16 a litre, then the poorest would pay the same as the richest for their petrol

We need higher fuel cost, so this cuts the numbers of cars on the road.

People have to say "Do I need to use the car?"

Have a think, analyse the journey

And say "No"

We do need to be paying more for fuel as it is the fairest way, if it was £16 a litre, then the poorest would pay the same as the richest for their petrol

..And the richest would still be using their cars:D

Are you advocating that the poor should be priced out of travelling or owning a car? I fail to see your point!

The government aren't being pressured into cutting duty......Only 'not applying' the proposed increase in duty. Oh and there's another one planned for later next year too (a rise in duty that is).

On a slightly different tack. Since we've been lulled into buying litres of fuel. A lot of people seem to forget that we once bought it, in gallons. I dread to think what the price per gallon is these days (I'm sure someone will tell us shortly...lol)

I dread to think what the price per gallon is these days

1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 litres

Using mumkin's figures above for the UK, that gives us

€7.18 (£6.10) a gallon of unleaded

€7.36 (£6.26) a gallon of diesel

The thing that bugs me most, is how much of this (Gvt-imposed) duty is contributing to the national inflation figure.

It's getting a bit loud alright ;)

The Shell garage near me is selling unleaded at £1.30.9 (I think) which makes it about £5.95 a gallon

The thing that bugs me most, is how much of this (Gvt-imposed) duty is contributing to the national inflation figure.

Whatever the actual figure, it's still horrendous!!!!!...Sadly I remember the days when it was 35p per gallon!!!...But the less said about that the better...lol

All the car manufacturers work in Miles Per Gallon. I think the litre thingy, is designed to make us think whe're getting more than we actually are.

I mean if car manufacturers quoted their fuel stats in Kilometers per litre. It would make the fuel consumption, on even the most efficient cars look pretty sick!

Archived