The pressure's on to cut fuel taxes, apparently.

No doubt another ruse to make it look better then it actually is.

How many people have you ever heard quote ltrs/100km in normal everyday conversation?....Nobody!!! It's a meanigless number!

I don't talk to many europeans, they probably do use that figure though, since they measure distance in km and have no truck with metric.

The entire point is well, pointless, it doesn't matter what your efficiency is measured in, you can still tell when the price of petrol goes up. I've never bought petrol in gallons and I've been driving for 16 years, so if someone were to talk about the price/gallon it would be a meaningless number to me.

Country Unleaded 95 petrol price per litre in euros October 2011 Diesel price per litre in euros October 2011

Austria 1.35 1.31

Belgium 1.44 1.30

Czech Rep 1.32 1.32

Denmark 1.47 1.34

France 1.48 1.30

Germany 1.49 1.36

Greece 1.59 1.40

Hungary 1.19 1.18

Ireland 1.50 1.43

Italy 1.63 1.52

Latvia 1.24 1.24

Luxembourg 1.32 1.18

Netherlands 1.55 1.32

Norway 1.78 1.65

Poland 1.22 1.20

Portugal 1.50 1.35

Slovakia 1.46 1.35

Slovenia 1.31 1.24

Spain 1.33 1.25

Sweden 1.48 1.53 ========

Switzerland 1.38 1.40 =========

United Kingdom1.58 1.62

Unleaded on the left, diesel on the right

Interesting that in every country listed Derv is cheaper than petrol, - except in our Country. Any one know why?. Apologies just seen Switzerland. Just pointed out to me, Sweden also has dearer Derv.

Regards

Angel.

I think the figure used is actually ltrs/100km
Correct.

No doubt another ruse to make it look better then it actually is.

How many people have you ever heard quote ltrs/100km in normal everyday conversation?....Nobody!!! It's a meanigless number!

In the UK perhaps, but over on the Continent, car economy expressed as L/100km been the norm for decades.

Including in car (manufacturer) manuals, car adverts, road tests, etc, etc.

It's taken me quite a while to get used to MPG, and I still frequently do the mental arithmetic (into L/100kms) from the trip computer's MPG figures. Divide miles by 4.5 (= miles per liter), then divide 60 by miles per liter (= litres per 100 kms).

Do people really care about fuel costs though? I fuelled up with diesel at 136.9p on Sunday. Two minutes down the road there's a BP selling it for 142.9p and plenty of people buying - so that's 6p a litre more - more than any fuel duty increase.

Of course people care! When according to the news this morning 58p of every litre is 'duty', and there's the VAT on top of that too, which I think they said is 28p. That's 86p out of every litre bought going straight to the government. It just wrankles that despite what they say, it just goes into the bottomless money pit called the government 'coffers'.

Do people really care about fuel costs though? I fuelled up with diesel at 136.9p on Sunday. Two minutes down the road there's a BP selling it for 142.9p and plenty of people buying - so that's 6p a litre more - more than any fuel duty increase.

Yes people do care, but they still keep on buying otherwise the kids dont get to school on time and people dont get to work etc etc.

Yes people do care, but they still keep on buying otherwise the kids dont get to school on time and people dont get to work etc etc.

Precisely. And that's why the gov are safe in the knowledge that they can put (pretty much), as much as they like tax (cos that's what it is) on it with impunity. Knowing people will still buy it anyway. I for one simply wouldn't be able to travel to work without a vehicle of some sort.

Yeah I know, there's always the 'what's wrong with public transport?' argument, and ordinarily I would agree. But 4 busses and a start-out at stupid o'clock? No thanks!

Archived