The pressure's on to cut fuel taxes, apparently.

It's cheaper to buy 2 Litre of petrol than a pint of beer in the pub!

Perhaps so but which would you rather sup?

I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about anyhow. The Government needs to raise a certain amount of tax to pay for the NHS, Police, Army, Services etc.

There are many ways of doing it, but to cut one means increasing others. It is easy for some folks to dodge some taxes but fuel duty doesn't strike me as being one of them. It is also very cheap to collect as those collecting it work for filling stations.

If the Government cut a £billion off fuel duty it would probably need to increase other taxes by £1.5 billion to pay the increased costs of tax collection.

Most posts on this thread have valid points.

Historically, the French have a reputation for protests, revolutions and blockades etc, (WW2 not included here ;) )

In Mumkin`s figures, I see that there are about a dozen countries that have lower fuel costs than the French, and I was a little surprised by that.

In this county, I only recall one revolt that was effective against the government, and that was against the poll tax (Thatcher) that effected just about everyone over 18.

It would be interesting to hear what people feel is the reason why there are not similar protests in the UK against fuel costs. High fuel costs effect everyone. Food, clothing, electrical good, services, manufacturing, beer, in fact just about everything increases in cost when fuel increases. It is naive to think it is only the motorist that is effected.

As a self employed person all my business mileage is offset against my tax, I don’t see why an employee’s mileage to and from work can’t also be offset against tax, which would leave everyone paying more for leisure mileage than work related mileage, which I don’t see as unreasonable.

As a self employed person all my business mileage is offset against my tax, I don’t see why an employee’s mileage to and from work can’t also be offset against tax, which would leave everyone paying more for leisure mileage than work related mileage, which I don’t see as unreasonable.

For an employee, that system would be very open to abuse.

Yes people do care, but they still keep on buying otherwise the kids dont get to school on time and people dont get to work etc etc.

So why aren't they saving money by going to Sainsburys rather than BP and saving 6p a litre?

And didn't a TV advert for Sainsburys last night offer 6p a litre off fuel if you did your shop there? I certainly spend £60 in shopping and usually go there anyway, so by being a bit smarter I can fuel up and save £8 on a tank.

The bottom line is the policy is as follows.

We first have to drive the poorest off our roads, by making it impossible to get around. This will be supported by the middle classes who will view this as somebody elses problem.

After a couple of years, we then up the costs to drive the middle classes off the roads.

Then the eliete can have roads to themselves

Archived