The pressure's on to cut fuel taxes, apparently.

Using the same logic in your argument, if you can't lose what you've never had, can you benefit from the removal of an increase that didn't happen?

Fair point, you don't benefit from it, but you aren't penalised by it.

Much better for the economy as a whole don't you think?

So why aren't they saving money by going to Sainsburys rather than BP and saving 6p a litre?

And didn't a TV advert for Sainsburys last night offer 6p a litre off fuel if you did your shop there? I certainly spend £60 in shopping and usually go there anyway, so by being a bit smarter I can fuel up and save £8 on a tank.

Correction to this, its 10p per litre, not six.

Scrapping the duty increase on fuel will have knock on benefits in the economy, helping EVERY family in the country.

How would cutting fuel duty (when the tax would just have to be raised elsewhere anyway) help every family in the country ? It`s only going to help those who drive. Plus cutting income tax rather than fuel duty would have the added benefit of not making the roads even more crowded than they already are, which is too crowded.

Reducing income tax would have knock on benefits in the economy, helping EVERY tax payer in the country, and I can`t imagine there are many car owners who don`t pay income tax. If there are I`d like to know how that one works. Earn too little to pay income tax but can afford to run a car ! ? !

I couldn`t afford to run a car till I was in my early twenties and had been working full time for a few years.

I'm self employed and no one gives me any thing that I don't work for, any bit of help is welcome especially when it comes to the price of diesel it has a knock on effect that has to be past on to the customers so everyone suffers, what annoys me more than any thing is that most of the cost of a liter of diesel is tax then they stick vat on top of it you just cant get in front any more,your screwed all round from tax on every thing, I sometimes think I would be better off on the dole and giving it all up, what it needs is the price of diesel to come down to at least a £1 per liter that mite get things moving a bit in the transport industry at least, but they will probably knock 1or2 p off a liter and stick it on something else like booz or fags

How would cutting fuel duty (when the tax would just have to be raised elsewhere anyway) help every family in the country ? It`s only going to help those who drive. Plus cutting income tax rather than fuel duty would have the added benefit of not making the roads even more crowded than they already are, which is too crowded.

Reducing income tax would have knock on benefits in the economy, helping EVERY tax payer in the country, and I can`t imagine there are many car owners who don`t pay income tax. If there are I`d like to know how that one works. Earn too little to pay income tax but can afford to run a car ! ? !

I couldn`t afford to run a car till I was in my early twenties and had been working full time for a few years.

Cutting fuel duty would reduce transportation costs.

This would reduce the costs of goods and services, thus helping every family.

Cutting income tax would have no benefit for the those who don't pay income tax (those on very low incomes / disability benefits, state pensions)

From my own personal perspective cutting fuel duty would help me, but not as much as the average motorist as I get all my fuel for my company car paid for. A cut in income tax would be much more beneficial for me, but I'd sooner see a cut that helps the majority.

If deisel gets any more tax lobbed on it ,i will be seriously thinking about running on Red Diesel. For a few quid you can get a filter kit to take out the dye to avoid detection if the lovely people VOSA decide to give you a tug and dip the tank. There will come a cut off point where it will be worth the risk of running on red,and that point is very close.

Archived