How to test my glow plugs

My 307hdi is taking a bit of starting in the morning, i know my alternator and battery is ok, so i think i may have a glow plug down, do you know if you can check them using a battery charger.? i know you can do it with the battery, but i find it a bit fiddly, and onece i somehow blew a glow plug up :huh:

My 307hdi is taking a bit of starting in the morning, i know my alternator and battery is ok, so i think i may have a glow plug down, do you know if you can check them using a battery charger.? i know you can do it with the battery, but i find it a bit fiddly, and onece i somehow blew a glow plug up :huh:

Disconnect the wire or wires that connect to the glow plugs, very carefully flash the live terminals one at a time with a live feed from the battery, the plugs that spark are ok.

Disconnect the wire or wires that connect to the glow plugs, very carefully flash the live terminals one at a time with a live feed from the battery, the plugs that spark are ok.

Is the theory in that....if it doesnt spark, then it is not earthing and a circuit is not made..Due to it being broken...

Check the wiring that runs to all four glow plugs. Remove it and give it a really good clean and the difference will be amazing.

Also check out the earth point by the battery, that's also a common culprit.

After you eliminate that you may want to look towards getting a diagnostic done. The glow plug relay could be faulty. I know a guy in Rotherham with the genuine Pug diagnostic tools which would show that and check everything else electrical on the car - a cheapo generic code reader won't.

Archived