How to test my glow plugs

He might be short of cash, agree best to change as a set.

thanks Guys...i am always short of cash..lol

I will check them this weekend, i am sure there must be one down, if i find one, i may as well do them all, Hey...that way to check them is a lot easier than trying to lean them on the battery

the test wire not the plug dipstick

Just cos they spark doesn't mean the plugs are heating up.

Just means there's a connection to earth via the heater plug unit.

Take each one out and power it up.

I don't drive a diesel fuel taxi for fun.

It's my living :-)

Just cos they spark doesn't mean the plugs are heating up.

Just means there's a connection to earth via the heater plug unit.

Take each one out and power it up.

I don't drive a deisel fuel taxi for fun.

It's my living :-)

if they spark they will heat up .stick to driving leave the repairs to trained mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...
if they spark they will heat up .stick to driving leave the repairs to trained mechanics.

I checked all my glow plugs and they all sparked indicating they were ok, but this morning the car would not start in the near freezing temperature, there seemed little power in the battery tho, but i have had the battery and alternator checked and been told they are ok, after about 7 attempts to start the car the battery went flat, after i put it on charge for about 4mins it fired into life FIRST time, does that mean the battery is faulty :huh: it does in my book, i went to the shop where i bought the battery (still under warranty) and he also told me it was fine :huh:

he said i may have something taking the power due to a faulty earth wire, does that make any sense.? it doesnt to me, he told me to leave the battery disconnected and try it when i put it back on in the morning....

Thanks for any help guys :)

I checked all my glow plugs and they all sparked indicating they were ok, but this morning the car would not start in the near freezing temperature, there seemed little power in the battery tho, but i have had the battery and alternator checked and been told they are ok, after about 7 attempts to start the car the battery went flat, after i put it on charge for about 4mins it fired into life FIRST time, does that mean the battery is faulty :huh: it does in my book, i went to the shop where i bought the battery (still under warranty) and he also told me it was fine :huh:

he said i may have something taking the power due to a faulty earth wire, does that make any sense.? it doesnt to me, he told me to leave the battery disconnected and try it when i put it back on in the morning....

Thanks for any help guys :)

The most common reason for battery drainage is a back leaking diode in the rectifier pack.Most alternators are three phase and have a pack of nine diodes any one of these with a faulty junction can cause the battery to slowly discharge through the alternator windings .If you disconnect the battery and that proves the fault repeat the test this time disconnect the main feed wire from the battery to the alternator.

The most common reason for battery drainage is a back leaking diode in the rectifier pack.Most alternators are three phase and have a pack of nine diodes any one of these with a faulty junction can cause the battery to slowly discharge through the alternator windings .If you disconnect the battery and that proves the fault repeat the test this time disconnect the main feed wire from the battery to the alternator.

Thanks a lot choog :thumbsup:

the test wire not the plug dipstick[/QUOTE]

My Bold=

You ain't talking to your son so less of the dipstick comment, muppet. :roll:

To test properly you take the glowplugs out as a faulty one may still complete the circuit but not glow up

the test wire not the plug dipstick[/QUOTE]

My Bold=

You ain't talking to your son so less of the dipstick comment, muppet. :roll:

To test properly you take the glowplugs out as a faulty one may still complete the circuit but not glow up

ok please explain how a glow plug can pass a current and not glow

Never seen that fault (short circuited glow plug ) in a lifetime working on diesels but it may be theoretical possible but it is extremely unlikely.Infact if a short to earth did exist the fuse protecting the circuit would blow.

Archived