Would you rather have an equal share of nothing or £5000

Equal share of nothing or the lowest share of a million pounds.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Equal share of nothing or the lowest share of a million pounds.

• equal share of nothing
    • £5000

Honestly, at the moment, i'd accept anything that was offered, be-it £500 or £5000

Whatever it is will help me at the moment so... yeah, that's my answer...

But I can see why some people would accept nothing, and if my situation was different, I too would possibly choose nothing, it's quite a hard thing to decide when you're not actually in the situation..

Consider a 'Dutch Auction' approach: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutchauction.asp#axzz1dsC9iaIZ

Let each person first write-down (secretly) what he/she would accept as minimum.

They pass these to a neutral disinterested non-participant who's empowered to do the splitting.

As cyclone says the rules are set, to get the £5000 you have to choose it and by doing so and assuming others in the group will also choose a low amount, the whole group will win, some more than others.

The lowest share is better than nothing.
Is entirely rational and undisputable.

But then there's the self-respect (alright, ego :D), current circumstances and attitude to risk of each person.

I don't have any problem admitting that I'd not take the £5.000: someone else in the 10-person group will need any (lower) amount of that windfall more than me, so I can afford to bluff longer for a higher share. And not win anything at all if it comes to that.

Is entirely rational and undisputable.

But then there's the self-respect (alright, ego :D), current circumstances and attitude to risk of each person.

I don't have any problem admitting that I'd not take the £5.000: someone else in the 10-person group will need any (lower) amount of that windfall more than me, so I can afford to bluff longer for a higher share. And not win anything at all if it comes to that.

I will be picking the ten and all but you are multimillionaire bankers.

So will you take the 5 grand now and make them richer or take nothing.:D

Write all the amounts down on seperate pieces of paper, fold them up and put them in a hat. Each person picks a piece of paper at random, whatever amount is on their piece of paper is what they get. I think that'd be a fair way of deciding who gets what.

I will be picking the ten and all but you are multimillionaire bankers.

So will you take the 5 grand now and make them richer or take nothing.:D

Pardon? :huh:

Write all the amounts down on seperate pieces of paper, fold them up and put them in a hat. Each person picks a piece of paper at random, whatever amount is on their piece of paper is what they get. I think that'd be a fair way of deciding who gets what.
KISS principle in full effect. Applause.

Are you saying that you'd agree that that person would get the £25,000 otherwise surely they'd get the £500,000

Would you continue to abide by the decision if they said you were getting the £5000 or would you renege and stop anyone getting anything.

get the group to vote someone to give out the money. That person would get the £25000 and would decide who gets what thereafter!

The rules wouldn't alow that.

Archived