Would you rather have an equal share of nothing or £5000

Equal share of nothing or the lowest share of a million pounds.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Equal share of nothing or the lowest share of a million pounds.

• equal share of nothing
    • £5000

You'd be pretty petty and mental not to take it.

People frequently don't. It seems to be hardwired into our thinking that no distribution at all, is preferable to an unfair one.

The usual argument brought forward is "if it's petty not to accept the £5000 and to make everyone get nothing instead, well then you accept the £5000 and I'll have your £100,000 prize."

If the distribution had been agreed with you getting £100k and me getting £5k, and I refused to accept it and produced that argument, would you concede and let me have the £100k, or would you be "petty and mental" and refuse?

It doesn't matter how it's worked out though, when you're told that it's you getting £5000 would you abide by it, or would you say "nope, in that case nobody gets anything".
Somehow, your sig springs to mind :D

Is anyone else but me and Ghozer going to come clean :D ?

People frequently don't. It seems to be hardwired into our thinking that no distribution at all, is preferable to an unfair one.

The usual argument brought forward is "if it's petty not to accept the £5000 and to make everyone get nothing instead, well then you accept the £5000 and I'll have your £100,000 prize."

If the distribution had been agreed with you getting £100k and me getting £5k, and I refused to accept it and produced that argument, would you concede and let me have the £100k, or would you be "petty and mental" and refuse?

but thats in a different scenario where they get to have some input into who gets what. If the millionaire is deciding I either get the £5000 or nothing then Id be happy with £5000. If I am involved in the decision process then it is an interesting question but I will stick with my original answer from earlier.

sorry ignore me, I thought it was an interesting question but you are actually asking if I was offered £5000 would I take it...well yes of course I would!:huh:

You’re not offered it, you would have to reject the higher amounts and accept the lower amount.

I didn’t think my original question was this complicated.

There was a game show on TV in which a team of people won some money, the winnings where then split unequally. What surprised me was the amount of people that would sooner loose the lot than take the lowest share.

The lowest share is better than nothing.

Yep I remember that.

Archived