Harrier Jump Jets - They're Back!!

But the bad news is they are being purchased by the US Marine Corps air arm which expects to use them operationally into the 2020s

Harrier Jump Jets Un-retired

"The sale of the Harriers is bound to raise fresh questions about the wisdom of retiring the much-admired aircraft, which the Americans intend to use until 2025."

"We're taking advantage of all the money the Brits have spent on them," he said. "It's like we're buying a car with maybe 15,000 miles on it. These are very good platforms."

Retiring these planes looks like a very, very serious mistake by the government. We were led to believe these planes were no longer viable. The truth is they've got years more life in them. I don't buy the nonsense about us not being able to afford them, not when the entire operational cost and way more besides could have been met by making the likes of Vodafone meet its tax obligations.

But the bad news is they are being purchased by the US Marine Corps air arm which expects to use them operationally into the 2020s

"The sale of the Harriers is bound to raise fresh questions about the wisdom of retiring the much-admired aircraft, which the Americans intend to use until 2025."

"We're taking advantage of all the money the Brits have spent on them," he said. "It's like we're buying a car with maybe 15,000 miles on it. These are very good platforms."

Retiring these planes looks like a very, very serious mistake by the government. We were led to believe these planes were no longer viable. The truth is they've got years more life in them. I don't buy the nonsense about us not being able to afford them, not when the entire operational cost and way more besides could have been met by making the likes of Vodafone meet its tax obligations.

The US have been using Harriers for years. I was sure that I heard that the Marine Corps had declared them obsolete but obviously I was wrong.

The Harriers are the only type that can be used on British navy carriers as they have no flight decks that can be used by conventional aircraft. Maybe the RN is planning on scrappings it's carriers also

Why use expensive aircraft to assault the enemy when we have groundtroops which are cheaper and easier to replace when killed. Thats how our MOD and govt thinks. I wouldn't risk one life in Afghanistan when a jet can do the job quicker and safer. Jets knock the fight out of the Taliban a bit quicker as well. I liked the one about the US sniper when he was asked what he felt when he had just 'taken out' a target. All he said was "RECOIL".

Was sat on a breakwater at Hornsea a few weeks ago and one of them Eurofighter jobbies was heading out to sea. It sounded brilliant as it accellerated, a really fearsome noise.

My V8 lada quicker, and makes a bigger noise with my blast pipes. And it flys over bumps.

The US have been using Harriers for years. I was sure that I heard that the Marine Corps had declared them obsolete but obviously I was wrong.

The Harriers are the only type that can be used on British navy carriers as they have no flight decks that can be used by conventional aircraft. Maybe the RN is planning on scrappings it's carriers also

HMS Invincible, HMS Ark Royal and HMS Illustrious have all been decommissioned, we don’t have any aircraft carries left, and the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier aren’t built yet and don’t need the harrier. It was a fanatic aircraft I have many fond memories of my time working on them.

I bet they get pushed back beyond 2025 as well.

The American Marines have always admired the Harrier, as a weapons platform it's pretty hard to beat.

That Admiral must have been rubbing his hands together in glee when he heard he could get his hands on 70+ used ones, all upgraded and in tip top condition for bottom dollar.

They don't work very well in the situations were trying to use them in at the moment, for example Afghanistan. Too high and hot.

Archived