BMA want the government to ban smoking in your car..

quote from article:

"Smoking should be banned in cars to protect drivers and passengers – especially children – from breathing in toxins far worse than those found in smoky bars."

I wonder which smoky bar they took samples from as its been abolished in bars since 2007?

Just more anti-smoking propaganda to grab some headlines. If it was that bad then surely the Government would ban tobacco completely and stop its sale.

So do you think it's OK to subject children to cigarette smoke in a confined space?

Just to be objective - who has the right to tell people where they can smoke if its your car, your house etc nobody.

children sitting in cars are exposed to other harmful fumes, so I dont see the diffence between the 2, most people who smoke in there cars do it with the window down.

Like I said before I dont travel with anyone I dont know and if I want to smoke in 'My car' then I can, everyone excepts it, if they dont like it they can walk or catch a bus, imo I would rather sit in a warm car and be dropped off outside my house in a car driven by a smoker, than stand in the cold at a bus stop, bus late, over crowed, with sometimes smelly dirty people spreading there nasty germs...

Just to be objective - who has the right to tell people where they can smoke if its your car, your house etc nobody.

children sitting in cars are exposed to other harmful fumes, so I dont see the diffence between the 2, most people who smoke in there cars do it with the window down.

Like I said before I dont travel with anyone I dont know and if I want to smoke in 'My car' then I can, everyone excepts it, if they dont like it they can walk or catch a bus, imo I would rather sit in a warm car and be dropped off outside my house in a car driven by a smoker, than stand in the cold at a bus stop, bus late, over crowed, with sometimes smelly dirty people spreading there nasty germs...

Would people who smoke in cars with children present go and stand in a small cupboard and light up with the kids present? I suspect not. So why is it OK to do it in a car? The 'they are exposed to other harmful fumes' is a non-argument as far as I'm concerned as that is far harder to control, this can easily be controlled by the adult either stopping the car and having a smoke outside, if they're that desperate, or abstaining until they reach their destination.

Would people who smoke in cars with children present go and stand in a small cupboard and light up with the kids present? I suspect not. So why is it OK to do it in a car? The 'they are exposed to other harmful fumes' is a non-argument as far as I'm concerned as that is far harder to control, this can easily be controlled by the adult either stopping the car and having a smoke outside, if they're that desperate, or abstaining until they reach their destination.

I agree.

But who has the right to tell people they carnt smoke in there cars, whether children are there or not you can not stop pregnant women smoking or parents smoking in there own home with children so I carnt see why it is any different to a car, you can only advise people not to do it.

whos going to patrol this I carnt see the police wasting time pulling drivers over to issue them with a ticket when there are other crimes they could be dealing with.

I think if they couldn't get their fix of nicotine while driving they'll be a few more accidents on the road, they can get very edgy when they're not feeding their habit.

Wouldn't weaning people off their habit be a better long-term solution? Surely we don't want a society dependent on drugs?

Banning cigarettes altogether wouldn't help to wean people off; we've seen that with alcohol, cannabis and a great many other drugs. But just because a blanket ban doesn't work, it makes no sense to not try and find something that does work and leads us to a drug-free society.

I agree.

But who has the right to tell people they carnt smoke in there cars, whether children are there or not you can not stop pregnant women smoking or parents smoking in there own home with children so I carnt see why it is any different to a car, you can only advise people not to do it.

whos going to patrol this I carnt see the police wasting time pulling drivers over to issue them with a ticket when there are other crimes they could be dealing with.

If it were made illegal, that would help part way to people stopping, in the same way that when it became illegal to drink and drive it eventually led to it becoming a huge social stigma, that most motorists self-regulate. It could be enforced in the same way that talking on one's phone whilst driving is, eventually people would get the message, or other motorists and pedestrains would/could report offenders.

Banning smoking is not the answer, how would that work?:roll: It's like sayng that alcohol should be banned and that really worked with Prohibition, didn't it? And the war on drugs is another huge success story. :rolleyes:Smoking should however be restricted to people's private homes and certain designated public spaces.

Public places? Won't happen, remember they changed the law on that about 2 years ago? I don't foresee them changing it back anytime soon..

Archived