BMA want the government to ban smoking in your car..

If it were made illegal, that would help part way to people stopping, in the same way that when it became illegal to drink and drive it eventually led to it becoming a huge social stigma, that most motorists self-regulate. It could be enforced in the same way that talking on one's phone whilst driving is, eventually people would get the message, or other motorists and pedestrains would/could report offenders.

I do see your point, but drinking and mobile phones were barred for very different reasons to why they want to stop smoking.

If it were made illegal, that would help part way to people stopping, in the same way that when it became illegal to drink and drive it eventually led to it becoming a huge social stigma, that most motorists self-regulate.

Heroin was completely outlawed in the late 60s, and the effect of that policy has been to increase the number of heroin users by about fifty-fold.

What makes you so sure that completely outlawing nicotine would be a good move?

Wouldn't weaning people off their habit be a better long-term solution? Surely we don't want a society dependent on drugs?

Banning cigarettes altogether wouldn't help to wean people off; we've seen that with alcohol, cannabis and a great many other drugs. But just because a blanket ban doesn't work, it makes no sense to not try and find something that does work and leads us to a drug-free society.

I have no objection to them smoking in their cars.

Heroin was completely outlawed in the late 60s, and the effect of that policy has been to increase the number of heroin users by about fifty-fold.

What makes you so sure that completely outlawing nicotine would be a good move?

I don't at all! Sorry, I should have been more explicit, I was referring to banning smoking in cars with kids present. Banning smoking altogether would be stupid and counter-productive.

Thank god you are not in charge then or the country would be £12-15 Billion a year worse off.

NO-the money would be spent on other items as smokers began to spend more wisely and improve their lives and the lives of others.Plus there would be less futile operations on smokers who should know better.

20 years of riding motorbikes on the roads my dear.

Maybe you just look like someone people want to chuck fag ends at.

Oh gosh. Perhaps you look like something people want to wipe with Andrex.

Just because you haven't been hit by dog ends it doesn't mean that others haven't. It is one of the reasons that the German Authorities gave when they proposed similar legislation.

http://www.swr.de/rasthaus/archiv/2006/11/11/beitrag1.html

Archived