BMA want the government to ban smoking in your car..

NO-the money would be spent on other items as smokers began to spend more wisely and improve their lives and the lives of others.Plus there would be less futile operations on smokers who should know better.

Not a rational argument.Just because they "might" spend it on something else does not mean it goes straight into government coffers.What luxury items are they going to buy that are taxed at 85%?.

As for futile operations do only smokers get ill?.A smoker who has the courtesy of dying of heart disease in their 50`s costs the NHS a lot less than a non smoker dying of Alzheimer’s in their 80`s.Not to mention the cost of savings towards the state pensions from dying many years younger.

If everyone suddenly quit tomorrow they are still going to die of something.

Should the NHS stop all futile operations on smokers?.Where would you stop.What about fat people,drug users,alcoholics.

Some people are not going to be happy until we live in a completely controlled state where there is no freedom of choice.It`s a very sad world we are living in right now.

I'm all for the banning of smoking in cars where there are children present. It appals and disgusts me how parents/adult can smoke in a confined environment like this with children present and forced to inhale the noxious fumes. I'm also sure that it contributes to travel sickness, my parents both smoked in the car when I was a kid and I suffered badly from car sickness.:gag:

You haven't got lung cancer though have you?

]I think smoking in the company of others is bad manners[/b]-its a shame people are so ignorant and self-destructive that they rely on government suasion rather than exercise self-discipline

What has this got to do with anything?!

I'm all for banning smoking with kids in the car.. but when its just you, it seems a bit much! After all if you are driving a car you are old enough to make your own decisions.

Thats the nub of the matter,on your own fair enough but with kids in the car its child abuse.

If you smoke anywhere with kids around, you need to take a look at yourself.

One of the BMA's arguements is that you are still posing a helth problem after you have left the car and someone else gets in!

People have been smoking for years, in pubs, clubs, homes. I'm not saying that it doesn't pose a helth risk when directly inhaled by the smoker, even (although very little) by the direct passive smoker. But to suggest that it can cause helth problems for someone who uses the car after you is just a presumption as far as I'm concerned. There's just no way this can be proven, no way what so ever!

Next step, banning amoking in your own home?

Tell the passive smoking argument to Roy Castle's family. After the smoker has gone is silly tho. True.

Tell the passive smoking argument to Roy Castle's family. After the smoker has gone is silly tho. True.

Roy castle used to play the trumpet in working mans clubs. He was constantly taking in deep breaths of smoke. He didn't get ill from using a car after a smoker had used it.

Archived