Over 1 million youth unemployed, highest youth unemployment EVER!

Yeah and the majority of them are unemployed through choice !

If half a million jobs were create for youths of today there would be very little takers, in the area I live none of the youths work, you see their bedroom curtains closed until lunchtime - then its either working on their souped up cars, betting shop / pub, or games console.

Don't blame the recession for youths of today being unemployed - they were unemployed and choose to be so before the recession came about.

What they need is a kick up the backside and told that their benefits are to stop if they don't try to find work.

Yeah and the majority of them are unemployed through choice !

If half a million jobs were create for youths of today there would be very little takers, in the area I live none of the youths work, you see their bedroom curtains closed until lunchtime - then its either working on their souped up cars, betting shop / pub, or games console.

Don't blame the recession for youths of today being unemployed - they were unemployed and choose to be so before the recession came about.

What they need is a kick up the backside and told that their benefits are to stop if they don't try to find work.

They cannot get benefits unless looking for work, what a plum.:huh::loopy::roll:

I run a small business and I would love to set a young lad on but it is just not cost effective,first of all you can not insure them to drive its ridicules prices they want for a young driver,most of the young people can not afford driving lessons or driving tests,the cost of tax and national insurance is a burden,the whole system is against me, if you set some one on for a job you need to earn this money from the work that they do, if they have no experience in the job you just can not afford the cost of there wage,a few years ago the government at the time did the yops scheme that was a real help at the time and I had some decent staff come from that scheme,I don't think the youngsters are any different from a few years ago, its just they have no help at all in getting into work and people like me have no incentive to set any one young on.

John habbs hit a nerve there did he? are you one of the lumpen he's refering to? :hihi:

Thanks TheGuy,

Bet he is one of them.

He says you have to be looking for work in order to get benefits - we all know that's what suppose to be the case, but they don't look for work and just keep getting their dole week in week out.

In the area I live, there's a lad who since leaving school at 15 has never worked, like the rest of his family, he is now in his 20's and still on benefits, spends most of his time buying and selling in Cash Converters.

I run a small business and I would love to set a young lad on but it is just not cost effective,first of all you can not insure them to drive its ridicules prices they want for a young driver,most of the young people can not afford driving lessons or driving tests,the cost of tax and national insurance is a burden,the whole system is against me, if you set some one on for a job you need to earn this money from the work that they do, if they have no experience in the job you just can not afford the cost of there wage,a few years ago the government at the time did the yops scheme that was a real help at the time and I had some decent staff come from that scheme,I don't think the youngsters are any different from a few years ago, its just they have no help at all in getting into work and people like me have no incentive to set any one young on.

Personally I think it would be stupid to subsidise employers. Far better to pay people to go self employed.

A guy in the QT audience tonight suggested government give him a young persons 'dole' and he'd give them a job.

If he was on the work program, the government would also give money to A4E or some other private quasi-state organisation.

Be cheaper to just pay everybody dole regardless as a basic income, the people working in the job centers, at a4e, on the behalf of a employer whilst funded by the state, they could try and find something productive to do, and be rewarded by the market. To save all the admin, just pay the millionaires dole too. They could at least use it to employ somebody on minimum wage, as they say they need subsidy to take people on...

In the area I live, there's a lad who since leaving school at 15 has never worked, like the rest of his family, he is now in his 20's and still on benefits, spends most of his time buying and selling in Cash Converters.

He sounds like a poorly paid bank trader!

Personally I think it would be stupid to subsidise employers. Far better to pay people to go self employed.

A guy in the QT audience tonight suggested government give him a young persons 'dole' and he'd give them a job.

If he was on the work program, the government would also give money to A4E or some other private quasi-state organisation.

Be cheaper to just pay everybody dole regardless as a basic income, the people working in the job centers, at a4e, on the behalf of a employer whilst funded by the state, they could try and find something productive to do, and be rewarded by the market. To save all the admin, just pay the millionaires dole too. They could at least use it to employ somebody on minimum wage, as they say they need subsidy to take people on...

I don't think a young person could handle the responsibly of being self employed, as for giving the employers there dole money first its not enough money to subsidies a wage and secondly there would be no motivation for them to work if they were not getting any money,the best way would be to give the young a bit more than there dole money the employer would be able to make the rest up, give the employer a brake from paying tax for a few years till they have started earning money for the company at least, give a bit of help with equipment and any training costs needed.just remember no business can afford to carry any one who is not earning money for the company,

According to the government, 5 GCSEs (including English and Mathematics) at Grade 'C' or above is the minimum qualification to get a decent job.

According to government statistics, about 60% of those who leave school at age 16 achieve that goal.

Simple arithmetic:

40% of school leavers are unemployable.

Is anybody surprised that so many unemployable people don't have employment?

Archived