Over 1 million youth unemployed, highest youth unemployment EVER!

But why ? I wouldn't let half the youths round my way within 50ft if my business, let alone hire them. Who do think would interview better, on the whole ? Some Chav slouched in a chair or some keen polish kid ? That said I'd argue those who do want to work will look as enthusiastic now but in the minds of alot of employers there minds have been made up. A trip to any large hotel chain will confirm that.

I believe that was one of the issues raised yesterday that in our haste to get more and more in, and therefore qualified to a university standard that the employment will not be there for them when they need it.

A very sensible government policy: it keeps unemployment down while you're in, and by the time it becomes a problem, it will be the other lot who have to deal with it.

But why ? I wouldn't let half the youths round my way within 50ft if my business, let alone hire them. Who do think would interview better, on the whole ? Some Chav slouched in a chair or some keen polish kid ? That said I'd argue those who do want to work will look as enthusiastic now but in the minds of alot of employers there minds have been made up. A trip to any large hotel chain will confirm that.

This would be laughable if it wasn't so true. A lot of employees use this argument and if rumours are true a lot are turning to the other end of the market and employing mature workers, I for one am pleased about this but it would seem to be a concern that needs addressing.

I personally was one of the 3 million in the 1990s (when unemployment was at its peak), and back in those days, myself and my dingbat mates (who were all the illeducated of the day - not a single GCSE between us) would take any job.

In the 1990s, if you wanted a job then you could get one, it would be a rubbish job on poor pay, but it would be a job. I get the feeling many of these young unemployed today would not take a job unless it was a dream job

Thing is, most jobs are temporary. Who would sign off Jobseeker's in order to get temp. employment, only to be laid off in a few weeks time, then go through all the trouble of signing on again.

Best to stay on the dole until something long-term is found.

In the 1990s, if you wanted a job then you could get one, it would be a rubbish job on poor pay, but it would be a job. I get the feeling many of these young unemployed today would not take a job unless it was a dream job

Summed up in a nutshell. Young people today are so obsessed with playing with their mobile phones and games consoles that they see actually having to work to pay for them as an inconvenience.

If you want to work you'll find a job, if you don't want to work, you'll find an excuse.

Archived