Over 1 million youth unemployed, highest youth unemployment EVER!

Newsnight. Once again spokesmen for the parties are arguing. They don't get it.

Youth unemployment rised markedly under Labour since 2004. It's accelerating under the Coalition. They're all responsible for the mess. They need to work together and agree how to tackle this issue.

I would:

1. Make it illegal for foreign nationals coming over on intra company transfer (ICT) visas to take roles that would otherwise be marketed to grads and modern apprentices.

2. For youngsters unemployed to be offered genuine waged training places. In significant numbers. Employers that can demonstrate genuine training opportunites (e.g. by allowing for day release) can be exempted from minimum wage at a floor of say £75/week (more than JSA).

3. Genuine support for business startup. How much wasted talent is out there just needing that little spark?

Anybody else got any ideas instead of arguing?

Youth unemployment rised markedly under Labour since 2004. It's accelerating under the Coalition. They're all responsible for the mess. They need to work together and agree how to tackle this issue.

I would:

1. Make it illegal for foreign nationals coming over on intra company transfer (ICT) visas to take roles that would otherwise be marketed to grads and modern apprentices.

2. For youngsters unemployed to be offered genuine waged training places. In significant numbers. Employers that can demonstrate genuine training opportunites (e.g. by allowing for day release) can be exempted from minimum wage at a floor of say £75/week (more than JSA).

3. Genuine support for business startup. How much wasted talent is out there just needing that little spark?

Your suggestions sound reasonable. But the young people also need to take some responsibility, for example I'd have employed the ones who said they were doing voluntary work to gain experience but not the ones who said they just stayed up late and laid in bed til the afternoon. In what way does that show a prospective employer any motivation?

Also, taking a job at entry level is better than no job, and I think some of the graduates need to accept that. Having said that, look at all these graduate jobs: http://www.grb.uk.com/graduate_jobs.0.html?page=5

Your suggestions sound reasonable. But the young people also need to take some responsibility, for example I'd have employed the ones who said they were doing voluntary work to gain experience but not the ones who said they just stayed up late and laid in bed til the afternoon. In what way does that show a prospective employer any motivation?

Also, taking a job at entry level is better than no job, and I think some of the graduates need to accept that. Having said that, look at all these graduate jobs: http://www.grb.uk.com/graduate_jobs.0.html?page=5

They do have to be more responsible and flexible. They also need to be helped to be motivated - it's not a great landscape out there. Think 1930s and a bit worse.

How far do people (especially any employers on here) think minimum wage law is responsible for this? Does it actually do more damage than good? If someone's skills are only worth £5 per hour to an employer, they can't employ them, even if that person is willing to work for it.

On a side note, as with a lot of these laws (of which I even doubt their good intention), larger corporations are further protected from potential competition because they know small businesses will struggle far more with the costs.

Agree with both the of the above. I also think the transition that youngsters have to make from education to work isn't addressed either. I don't think half of them have a clue how the world if work ( regardless of what job) operates.

I would:

Stop companys developing and popularising their products here then moving production abroad as Dyson did.

They should put a high levy on the importing of products of compnys that do this.

Stop companys developing and popularising their products here then moving production abroad as Dyson did.

They should put a high levy on the importing of products of compnys that do this.

Disagree. Let's say they keep the manufacturing here and send the R&D to say, holland. Do we want our graduates designing vacume cleaners or putting them together (which wouldn't be high skilled I'd have thought). And who'd buy them ?if dyson are going to be that much more to build they'll be loads dearer than they already are so I'll buy a Hoover.

On the other side of the coin, what about the nissans and toyotas who invest in skilled jobs ? If the same logic is applied in Japan we won't do well out of that deal. Dysons mistake was making them here in the first place.

Absolutely. Nice post. If there was an additional tax on companies that added value to the production cycle offshore then we might not lose valuable companies. Or, alternatively tax breaks for companies that added most value onshore. Same difference.

Managed international trade (call it tariffs if you want) is coming as an inevitable consequence of the meltdown we are going to have. It can be done as a kneejerk reaction or it can re done in a reasonable, imaginative and justifiable way.

I'm never going to look down my nose at somebody who wants to work in a factory. Some people are happy to do it to earn their crust and not everybody wants to be a part of the 'knowledge economy' anyway.

Archived