EU Bans X-Ray Body Scanners

WeX

As I said, strip searches are already there as a DETERRENT

You inferred that strip searches should be there as a matter of course for everyone which, is silly and a childish comment

thats not what I inferred AT ALL:hihi: You said ANYTHING that deters terrorism. A strip search for every passenger would deter terrorists far more than occasional strip searches. Now you've realised how silly that is you are calling my comment childish.

Sorry, I'm not qualified enough to answer the first question....maybe the shoe bomber or the bloke with exploding underpants?

As for the money making bit, I'm sure you can quantify that statement.

Anything that can act as a deterrent to terrorists I'm all for it. I do a lot of flying and I like to feel comfortable and safe.

Exactly, and scanners like this make you and people like you feel safe. They don't actually make you safe.

From the article posted:

Under the new European Commission policy, the U.K. will be allowed to complete a trial of the X-ray scanners but not to deploy them on a permanent basis when the trial ends, said Helen Kearns, spokeswoman for the European transport commissioner, Siim Kallas.

So what does this mean if you refuse to be scanned at Manchester Airport? Will you still be refused boarding onto the flight or not?

I don't know if this is factually correct but a comment under that article says that you are more likely to get cancer from the ionising radiation than you are to be a victim of the terrorist attack. If that is true then clearly they are in fact pointless. I guess you also need to take into account the fact that x-rays are not magic imaging machines, you can only detect certain materials anyway which means if these machines are used for every passenger, terrorists will get round it easily I am sure.

thats not what I inferred AT ALL:hihi: You said ANYTHING that deters terrorism. A strip search for every passenger would deter terrorists far more than occasional strip searches. Now you've realised how silly that is you are calling my comment childish.

Have it your own way, much better things to do than argue a small point of comprehension with a pedant.

Have it your own way, much better things to do than argue a small point of comprehension with a pedant.

Do you always get defensive when you realise you are wrong?

Theres no need to resort to insults, just admit that you are not willing to sacrifice all of your personal freedoms to deter terrorists. That was the only point I was making in the first place.

I don't know if this is factually correct but a comment under that article says that you are more likely to get cancer from the ionising radiation than you are to be a victim of the terrorist attack. If that is true then clearly they are in fact pointless. I guess you also need to take into account the fact that x-rays are not magic imaging machines, you can only detect certain materials anyway which means if these machines are used for every passenger, terrorists will get round it easily I am sure.

They use x-ray back scatter, this is about the scanners that produce a 'nude' false colour image of you to show anything hidden about your person.

They're not the arches that detect metallic objects (only).

They use x-ray back scatter, this is about the scanners that produce a 'nude' false colour image of you to show anything hidden about your person.

They're not the arches that detect metallic objects (only).

but they have difficulty differentiating between the plastic in your shoe for example and plastic explosives and liquids (I believe). They are good at spotting a gun but terrorists aren't usually that thick.

but they have difficulty differentiating between the plastic in your shoe for example and plastic explosives and liquids (I believe). They are good at spotting a gun but terrorists aren't usually that thick.

And the arch scanners are equally good at spotting guns.

They'd both find a knife, and you only get plastic cutlery on board, but you can buy large glass bottles that will smash and make a nice weapon in duty free.

Archived