Don Sawmills, Sheffield

ksteele

Hi

I'm doing a university dissertation and wondered if anyone had any info whatsoever on the don sawmills please?

Thank you

Hi,

Your right, the address given for the mill is quite cotradictory. Assuming the Savile Street part is correct, then the District 4 ref. may also be correct but its nowhere near "Norton".

There used to be a long-established saw mill on Savile Street that operated under the name: Henry Matthews. Would this be what you are looking for? Don't remember it being called: "Don Saw Mill"

My best recollection of the yard would be in the years immediately following WWII. The mill iself was on Savile Street, next to Bentley Brothers Vauxhall car dealership. The lumber storage yard however, was on the opposite side of the river. The storage yard was also close to the railway viaduct and Matthews used two of viaduct's arches for drying/seasoning rough cut boards before they were finished in the mill.

The two parts of the business were originally connect by a ramshackle wooden bridge which sagged in the middle, however, this was replaced c1949 by a Bailey Bridge installed by the local TA detachment of the Royal Engineers.

Note: The same Bailey bridge was later dismantled (presumably when the mill closed or the area was being redeveloped), refurbished and reinstalled at a new location further down stream. This is the brige you cross as part of the Five Weirs Walk.

Regards

Thank you very much for this. Ive a feeling the site im looking at is one of the yards you mentioned. I had thought because of the listing that it was the main bit but now im not so sure. The viaduct rings bells so i will follow this up. Thank you again.:)

Archived