Fitness Advice Whats Best

J's Mum

I need to lose weight and get fitter, ive been thinking about a vibro plate and a treadmill,

Do these work?

Ive got 4 1/2 stone to lose but i also want to tone up so i dont end up with loads of flabby skin!!!

I cant swim so thats out of the question

Any recommend anything???

I wouldn't personally bother with a vibro plate, and while you could buy a treadmill, why don't you start running outside first as that's much cheaper? That way you can see if running's for you before splashing out on expensive gear.

When I started running I followed a walk/run training plan. You can download them off the internet, I think mine was 16 weeks and took me from being a complete non-runner to being able to run 5k without stopping.

It started with one minute jogging followed by two minutes' walking, repeated 12 times, and gradually upped the running and cut down on the walking. That was four years ago and I've since run three half marathons and a full marathon, so it's fair to say I've become a bit hooked!

Running is a great form of exercise and I couldn't recommend it more. Also, you may feel daft running on the street at first, but after the first week or so it won't bother you at all.

Good luck!

Ladies Kickboxercise every Wednesday from 30th November, 7.05 - 7.55pm @ Chapeltown Martial Arts & Fitness Centre, Unit 17 Chambers Way, Thorncliffe Park, Chapeltown, Sheffiels, S35 2PH. £5.00 per session - No Contracts ! Just FUN & FITNESS in a Friendly & Safe enviroment.

Most important things about whether treadmills and all the other exercise paraphenalia and regimes actually work are:

Do you enjoy doing that form of exercise?

Do you have lots of self-motivation?

So if like Whiteroses you enjoy running, then running - either on a treadmill or out in the real world - will work for you. Or if you don't enjoy it but are determined to get fit and can motivate yourself.

But a lot of people don't have that, which is why so many buy gym memberships, exercise videos, treadmills, exercise bikes... then only use them once or twice.

What you need to do is decide what you like to do that uses energy, then either take it up, or do it more. Personally, I find that medieval re-enactment with Knights In Battle is great fun as well as good exercise (and now's a good time to start since you can get trained up ready for action by the start of next season), and Modern Jive dancing with Blitz (other venues are available) is both sociable and fun exercise. (It's always a good time to start as modern jive classes have absolute beginners' lessons every week.)

Let's face it, how many people go to the gym and work out for three hours solid? But once or twice a week I'll go to Crookes Social Club and spend three hours dancing - and you can have a good night out for under a tenner, including drinks!

I only do 4 excercises, and you can do them at home. Lost 2 stone in 6 weeks. Kettle bell swing, weight bearing squats, diamond pushups and wide pushups. Combined with a variety of simple yoga stretches. barely any cardio, although slowly building this in.

20 mins x 6 days a week. Even if you just did kettlebells or squats you will lose loads of weight due to nature of the movements.

Muscle canablises fat, the results speak for themselves.

I need to lose weight and get fitter, ive been thinking about a vibro plate and a treadmill,

Do these work?

Ive got 4 1/2 stone to lose but i also want to tone up so i dont end up with loads of flabby skin!!!

Well, if you can't swim, you can go on biking at least one hour a day, it will help you shed off some pounds, or do a combination of jogging and walking with intervals for one hour.:)

Save your money and start off by going walking.

There are loads of websites with programmes for getting fit by walking, which if you really like you can build up to running. Otherwise it's a brisk walk to get started.

Watch the diet as everyone I spoke to said exercise was important but diet was a big factor in the weight loss. Drink plenty of water aswell.

The key as everyone has said is find something you like. I tried to like the gym but couldn't stay motivated. So whatever you will stick with is the answer be it walking/cycling/salsa dancing.

Good luck!

Do these work?

certainly recommend walking to start with. running carrying the extra 4 stone will be too hard and put you off straight away.

LEARN to swim.

wife joined weight watchers and has lost 3 stone in 9 months but at 20 quid a month it can be pricey and weight watchers foods cost a fortune.

me? i just go to the gym now and again and take pride in being a fat *******!

Walking is a very underestimated way to get fit and there are loads of walks within fantastic scenery on our doorstep.

For example, Mar Tor along the ridge to Loose Hill and back, or another route could be to start off at Redmires Dam, go towards stanage edge, and head towards the Fox House Pub, have a drink and head back.

To me walking is better than jogging and is far gentler on the knees.

Archived