How is dental healthcare and different from normal health care?

It's bugged me for years that we have a national health service which we all pay quite hansomely for. Yet dental healthcare is deemed to be totally different from any other type of healthcare (ie we have to pay for it). If I break my leg and have to go to A&E and get it xrayed and assessed and 'fixed' I don't have to pay. If I go to the dentist, I have to pay £17 up front before I even see the dentist. Then, anything up to £204 for treatment. Are the govenment not obliged to provide treatment for whatever type of health issue?

You can get help with costs - all the information is here:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

It is free in some cases. I've always paid for dental care, except when I went to a dental hospital in an emergency.

You get no help whatsoever if you're earning. I don't fall into any category of 'assistance'. It just infuriates me that I have to pay for one particular branch of healthcare.

There are many things excluded including community based care which has to be paid for by the person until their savings have dwindled down to almost nothing.

That's not fair either but that's the system in this country.

Archived