Reverse Highway Code

In particular when I'm making a right turn from a main road into a side street.

If there is a car indicating to turn right out of the side street onto the main road in many cases they'll pull out in front of me, as if it's a right of way.

This morning I was waiting to turn right onto a main road from a side road. A car indicating to turn into the side road refused to make the turn until I had gone. Once again as if I had right of way, which obviously I didn't.

There was no reason at all why a right hand turn couldn't have been made. Must be a nightmare for new drivers.

All about judgement. If you're turning right out of the side road, if you judge the approaching car indicating right to be travelling slow enough, decelerating and far away enough for you to pull out without causing inconvenience, there's no reason why you shouldn't.

If you're turning right onto the side road, sometime the car waiting to turn out of it is so far out and over to the right, they're blocking your turn into the road and it's easier to let them go first so you don't have to take a wide turn into it.

*waits for response telling me what a bad driver I am

All about judgement. If you're turning right out of the side road, if you judge the approaching car indicating right to be travelling slow enough, decelerating and far away enough for you to pull out without causing inconvenience, there's no reason why you shouldn't.

If you're turning right onto the side road, sometime the car waiting to turn out of it is so far out and over to the right, they're blocking your turn into the road and it's easier to let them go first so you don't have to take a wide turn into it.

*waits for response telling me what a bad driver I am

I agree in those situations, however most of the time I'm forced to stop sharply, hence my reasoning that some drivers feel they have a right of way.

As for a wide turn, this example this morning was here. Hardly a singletrack country road....;)

http://g.co/maps/ugkfb

Archived