US preparing for war with China?

I think fruitisbad was basing his "startling evaluation" on the manpower size of the Chinese army which in a modern war of major proportions no longer counts for anything.

Whole formations of massed infantry and tanks can be reduced to piles of charcoal in a matter of a few hours by the latest military killing technology and the Chinese dont have that kind of technology yet.

Neutralizing Chinese air and naval forces might take longer but it would eventually be achieved with losses on the US side also

Anyway I sincerely hope that none of this ever happens. Whose going to replace all the cheap Chinese throw away junk that most of us now have no choice but to buy in Wallymart ?

I share the same hope, but as you say, a huge ground army counts for nothing unless they're battling out for a patch of ground. Confrontation between their navies and air forces would be extremely one-sided.

I share the same hope, but as you say, a huge ground army counts for nothing unless they're battling out for a patch of ground. Confrontation between their navies and air forces would be extremely one-sided.

During my military years we were told on several occasions about the scenario that might occur if Soviet forces invaded West Germany through the Fulda Gap.

Soviet forces vastly outnumbered NATO forces in the number of divisions, tanks, artillery and infantry and it was believed that the NATO forces would be forced to retreat westwards after a week of fierce fighting and heavy losses on both sides which the Soviets could sustain but not NATO.

That's where the nuclear option came in and NATO commanders had been given that option by the UK and US governments.

This was apparent to the Soviets also and not even the loudest sabre rattling Soviet military leaders doubted it for a moment.

So what does it take to be a good Brit? Many years aboard Her Majesties Ships away from home, keeping the sealanes open so you can fill your faces and gas tanks? I qualify. Most of who I see here are dysfunctional, unhappy people complaining about everything and doing nothing to change it. This is not the Sheffield I once knew and loved.

Well said,i applaud you,luckily the vast majority of Sheffielders are not like this.:)

I will say this once and once only - you can cease with the bickering insults and name calling and discuss the subject like rational adults or i will close the thead and issue suspensions. Hope that makes everything nice and clear.

Anyway I sincerely hope that none of this ever happens. Whose going to replace all the cheap Chinese throw away junk that most of us now have no choice but to buy in Wallymart ?

Is there anyplace on earth quite like Wallyworld? I almost feel sorry for our UK cousins, never getting to experience it firsthand. The People of Walmart site doesn't begin to show it all! The adventure starts in the parking lot! Dodge the latina ladies selling questionable tamales from the backs of beat up minivans! Hope you can say, "NO, THANKS!" in spanish and move fast! Go on the first of the month when all the SSI checks come out! See the hordes of barefoot, feral children and cranky retirees. Need plastic coat hangers, sheets you could read a newspaper through or candles that will asphyxiate everyone in the house when you light them? Not to mention smoke like a blocked chimney? Walmarts your place.

That said, sometimes I frequent my local Super Walmart because around the holidays, they sell locally grown nuts, honey and apples real cheap. Also, locally made pepper jack cheese. Yum! I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Walmart. It's not so bad if you're not in a hurry, and you know where your wallet and phone is at all times and keep your wits about you.

Is there anyplace on earth quite like Wallyworld? I almost feel sorry for our UK cousins, never getting to experience it firsthand. The People of Walmart site doesn't begin to show it all! The adventure starts in the parking lot! Dodge the latina ladies selling questionable tamales from the backs of beat up minivans! Hope you can say, "NO, THANKS!" in spanish and move fast! Go on the first of the month when all the SSI checks come out! See the hordes of barefoot, feral children and cranky retirees. Need plastic coat hangers, sheets you could read a newspaper through or candles that will asphyxiate everyone in the house when you light them? Not to mention smoke like a blocked chimney? Walmarts your place.

That said, sometimes I frequent my local Super Walmart because around the holidays, they sell locally grown nuts, honey and apples real cheap. Also, locally made pepper jack cheese. Yum! I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Walmart. It's not so bad if you're not in a hurry, and you know where your wallet and phone is at all times and keep your wits about you.

Your Walmart sounds a lot more colourful than ours Sierra. No ladies selling tamales or bare foot kids but the merchandise is the same no doubt.

My wife goes there to buy the big containers of washing liquid. Twice the size and half the price of the same brands sold in the supermarkets.

I go to buy the music CDs and the 5 dollar movie DVDs they have piled up willy nilly in the big containers. The clothes are rubbish and some of the prices on other things are a litttle higher than in Costco in some cases

We buy huge amounts of stuff from Costco especially paper towels, table napkins, toilet rolls, boxes of tissues, bottled water, trash bags, vitamins and I always buy new tires for my truck and the cars there also

I remember going into the Super Walmart where my sister lives on the Gulf Coast of Florida. It was full of snow birds down there for the winter. They were so old most of them that we looked like a couple of kids by comparison.

They were buying stuff by the wagon load. They're like locusts. They buy up everything in the local stores and hog the cafes and restaurants for months until April comes. The beaches are packed and there isn't a parking space to be found after 11:00 AM

Makes me glad I live in California.

Archived