Spoonface Steinberg

If you have access to DAB radio, listen today to this phenomenal play (by Lee Hall): 1000hrs and 1500hrs. (plus 0300hrs. tomorrow morning). It's available thereafter for one week via BBC I-player, too.

I found it wholly addictive, compelling in its authenticity. After you've listened, please post your comments/views here.

No, I won't tell you all about it. A brief description would put you off it. Suffice to say: it's a monologue the like of which you've never imagined you'd hear or enjoy.

No, I won't tell you all about it. A brief description would put you off it.

Well I hope people would not be put off because of the subject matter.

The child in question was autistic and had a special gift, she was a genius with numbers. I have read it is not uncommon for autistic children to be born with some form of special gift. This was an enlightening play for the subject matter alone, more so told through the eyes of a child.

Here's what a local GP told me (verbatim) last year:

""I was so stunned by it that, for the only time in my life, I stopped my car to make sure that I could listen to all of it. For me, it was the best radio broadcast ever and a seminal moment in broadcasting history. As a doctor, its relevance, directness and sensitivity were breathtaking and it still affects me now."

For another website's discussion on an earlier transmission of the play, see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?27330-Spoonface-Steinberg&highlight=spoonface

Archived