Save Design & Technology

Believe in D&T is a campaign and petition to maintain the status of design and technology as a subject in our secondary schools.

The campaign is headlined by this belief statement:

“D&T must stay at the heart of the curriculum as a statutory entitlement for all pupils aged 5-14”

D&T (Product Design/Food Technology/Textiles Technology/Electronics/Systems and Control/Graphics/Resistant Materials) is a subject that teaches a decision making process based on identification of criteria, use of research and understanding of the use of tools and materials to develop a practical solution to a problem/need.

These skills are not of course limited to just practical problems and can be applied to any problem or situation that requires a solution to be found.

If you feel you would like to support the petition please visit:

http://www.believeindandt.org.uk/general/sign-up.html

If what I've read on their site is correct they're only making the subject optional?

As someone who has first hand seen students being forced to take lessons in subjects they've absolutely no interest in, I don't see why it should be compulsory.

What about kids that hate maths and English are you saying they shouldn't have to do those subjects?

In my experience CDT is not well resourced and consequently not well taught.

It needs a lot of investment and in these troubled times is not going to get it, which is a shame as design innovation and manufacturing are arguably the two things which are going to get us out of the current mess we're in.

In my experience CDT is not well resourced and consequently not well taught.

It needs a lot of investment and in these troubled times is not going to get it, which is a shame as design innovation and manufacturing are arguably the two things which are going to get us out of the current mess we're in.

Things are going to get worse, if as it says in the paper today the Govt are cutting schools funding by 10%.

Archived