What would make you give up your car for public transport?

I'd leave the car at home, if p/t actually suited my needs:(

I notice loads of cars which never move from in front of the house or drive all day, many of the owners park at the nearest stations too and use train/tram to get to work, I wonder if that's getting the best use out of their cars or maybe it's balanced by less money spent on petrol and parking costs.

Luckily I have a fully expensed car, and a parking spot at work.

Every time diesel goes up I effectively get a pay rise (OK not much, and the price increases in everyday goods due to higher transport costs negates this).

I need my car for my job, so there is no way that I could ever use public transport.

However, if I didn't get paid for my private as well as business journeys I might be tempted to use the Tram on occasion; buses however are a totally different ball game.

The Government are trying to tax us out of our cars (the Stick) but they're not doing enough to tempt us on to public transport (the Carrot).

I'd suggest going back to the highly subsidised system we used to have in Sheffield.

i tried to take the kids to school once....bad mistake, they were late due to 2 bus's not turning up!!, trams are ok, if i lived by the tram tracks then perhaps, but at the moment its still cheaper including insurance and petrol to use a car than the silly prices charged on bus's

In March our car failed it's mot.....:( To repair it would have cost more than the car was worth so we decided to get rid of it and see if we could manage without it for a while.

It is now November and we haven't really missed it, we have saved £20 each week in petrol, we have saved road tax, insurance and breakdown cover too. Okay so we may make two trips to the supermarket instead of one but that is no problem for us as we are both at home now.

We have had no problem with public transport and can get to most places easily. The only downside as someone mentioned is smelly people, I can't understand why people smell so bad, soap and water are not expensive and are easy to use. Only yesterday on the way home from the city centre we had to change our seats as the woman who sat in front of us smelled really bad, I could feel myself starting to heave, luckily there were empty seats.

Archived