What would make you give up your car for public transport?

I do, now and then, use public transport. Each time I'm reminded of the problems of smelly people, noisy people, dirty seats, unreliable timetables, and the extra door:door time it takes to get from one place to another by public transport, and I avoid it again for months or years.

Car/bike for me.

Free bus/tram/train pass. Freedom card.

I think I must be 72 to claim mine, but I doubt it'll still be in force by the time I'm 37, let alone 72.

Of course, it would have to be free.

Is it theft to demand travel fares from citizens?

Of course, it would have to be free.

Is it theft to demand travel fares from citizens?

No, but it is theft to demand they subsidise private industry by providing roads, grants for the companies, monopoly of routes etc. etc., hordes of pensioners' travel, and then that they pay over the odds to actually use it themselves.

It should be paid for out of general taxation and be free to use for all, the buses at least, the railways couldn't cope with the demand at this moment in time due to a lack of investment since privatiasation.

No, but it is theft to demand they subsidise private industry by providing roads, grants for the companies, monopoly of routes etc. etc., hordes of pensioners' travel, and then that they pay over the odds to actually use it themselves.

It should be paid for out of general taxation and be free to use for all, the buses at least, the railways couldn't cope with the demand at this moment in time due to a lack of investment since privatiasation.

Funny, I though those private companies paid significant road tax, fuel duty and insurance to use the roads - I didn't realise they were subsidised.

How much would it cost in general taxation to provide public transport free for all, and whose taxes would have to rise to pay for it?

In March our car failed it's mot.....:(To repair it would have cost more than the car was worth so we decided to get rid of it and see if we could manage without it for a while.

My bold. That can often be the case but a repair that is higher in cost than the value of the car can still be a worthwhile investment if there is no intent to sell the vehicle, the car is in good health otherwise and after repair, will be able to provide some more years of service.

Archived