Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

agreed it should be all the jobs that councils say they cant afford to do properly, so yes litter picking in parks, street cleaning of roadside verges, cleaning generally in the community areas , so to get the weekly benefit you have to do at least one 8hr day a week to earn it, the rest of the week is the claiments to job search, "no community work in a week" = no benefit! its not much to ask

I agree somewhat, but the Torys wouldn't be able to resist humiliating folk doing such duties. We are in recession, it WILL get worse. LET THE OVER 60's retire early, stop making people who are ill or disabled work. Give the jobs to the young who are trying to support families............Simples.....

The problem with most things community based and also with volunteer work is that those that are in charge and organise the volunteers/community workers are normally paid quite well. Its one of the reasons I stopped doing that kind of work. Hence the proliferation of community forums that most areas seem to have. The same will also happen with "workfare" as those that organise it will be paid well while those that do the work will get little out of it.

Litter picking is OK but how many pickers do we need as I cant see much litter about and we already pay Council Tax to employ people to deal with that.

Maybe the elderly with gardens who cant garden anymore should think about downgrading to a smaller property without a garden.

BTW its not a criticism of your post..:)

No you're right..these schemes that are supposed to save money end up costing a fortune and are generally a waste of time. I was a supervisor on the old community programme and there were lots of costs. Loads well paid staff, vans, offices etc..

I agree somewhat, but the Torys wouldn't be able to resist humiliating folk doing such duties. We are in recession, it WILL get worse. LET THE OVER 60's retire early, stop making people who are ill or disabled work. Give the jobs to the young who are trying to support families............Simples.....

That makes sense...We always seem to have these benefit saving schemes when there's no jobs...One could assert that its a diversionary tactic to divert the electorate from the fact that we're in big trouble...

A few years ago it was called 'Smoke Screens' , right wing politicians aided by rags such as The Mail and The Sun would blame the disadvantaged for their own plight........... they used to describe them as 'Social Security Scroungers'.............

I know who the real scroungers are....they are employed by banks, some work in Whitehall, but the majority have conned enough mugs to elect them to Parliament.

Another thing I don't understand is if there's only a certain amount of jobs and more applicants why do we have to have all the compulsory support (supposed) agencies involved. There will have to be some unemployed, there's not enough jobs. If someone wants help with their CV or other aspects of the process why not just let them do it on a voluntary basis instead of putting everyone through the process...It just seems a pointless waste of time and money...

Poverty and unemployment is our only fast growing industry. Just ask the clowns at A4e. This load of charlatans make a good living out 'helping' the disadvantaged. They feed them a load of bull **** then march 'em off to Poundland to do a few weeks temporary work. Their contracts then finish, they are sent down the road and the whole process starts again. A4e supplies some more mugs to Poundland............

AND WE THE PUBLIC PAY FOR ALL THIS. DOES THE BOSS OF A4e NOT LIVE IN A DERBYSHIRE MANSION ?????

Let's say we have the unemployed digging ditches, tidying gardens etc. What if their offspring aren't of school age yet ? Do we leave them in a minibus withe the windows cracked open ? Attached to the mothers back whilst they tend the fields? Obviously once of school age and it's summer holiday time we can send them up chimneys but prior to that all we are doing then is providing alot of nurseries more, no doubt subsidised be me and other taxpayers (again !) work.

Don't know what the answers are but not sure it's this. Oh and 9 top bishops don't think capping benefits at £500 per week works either.

Nothing - where I worked the purpose was that the kids came from connexions to try some work experience, and they were on scant benefits as mostly school leavers, so child benefit (as on a post 16 programme) or EMA when and where available... The work programme for the post 18 market asks people if they want eight week work experience, and if they say yes they are then commited to it - if they say no, then that's fair enough - that's why not really forced, but for those who do commit to it, they are then cheap labour with few landing a job with the company they work for...

Are you sure? What about all this, "We'll stop your dole rubbish?"

Archived