Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

They'd have to work for their benefits, not for nothing.

But so long as they'd only ever have to work for the government doing jobs that can't otherwise be afforded then the threat you mention doesn't exist.

See where you're coming from but could a situation develop where more and more work could not be afforded, just to get it done on the cheap by claimants. This could be deliberately engineered by a cynical government.

See where you're coming from but could a situation develop where more and more work could not be afforded, just to get it done on the cheap by claimants. This could be deliberately engineered by a cynical government.

You don't have to be cynical to see a scenario whereby the Government reduces the funding available to local authorities to an extent that they can't afford roadsweepers, litter picking, park maintenance, graffiti removal etc but lo and behold we have thousands of benefit claimants forced to carry out these tasks if they want to carry on receiving their benefits - make full time employees redundant but get them to do exactly the same job when they start claiming benefits - saves a fortune

You don't have to be cynical to see a scenario whereby the Government reduces the funding available to local authorities to an extent that they can't afford roadsweepers, litter picking, park maintenance, graffiti removal etc but lo and behold we have thousands of benefit claimants forced to carry out these tasks if they want to carry on receiving their benefits - make full time employees redundant but get them to do exactly the same job when they start claiming benefits - saves a fortune

The problem is that we can't afford them now and they do clean all areas.

It's possible, but if they wanted to do that they could already engineer that situation.

I know you can't trust the government to be honest and benevolent, but were discussing policies in theory, and so you have to assume a reasonably honest and reasonably benevolent implementation of them, otherwise any policy could be twisted to just screw people over and we'd conclude that no policy was any good.

Companies can't do that..employ someone else to do the work of a redundant employee..are councils diferent..?

I've always thought that people on benefits should have to do just one day a week picking up litter, clearing river banks or my personal bugbear, cleaning up dog muck. It's not too much to ask, it would really help the community and would act as an insentive to find a proper job!

Companies can't do that..employ someone else to do the work of a redundant employee..are councils diferent..?

if you are made redundant for economic reasons your job isn't replaced - in the above scenario they aren't "employing" someone, they are making benefit claimants work to enable them to receive benefits - but if you are assuming the Government can make people do a job without paying the minimum wage, why not assume they can also change other employment laws to suit their purposes

Meh, I live on Netherthorpe and applied to the Asda in S5, they said no because for personal reasons (which before anyone asks I can't disclose), I cannot work nights or weekends :(

This isn't a thread about you Rich, but do you accept that there is a limit to how far away even you would apply for a job.

Personally, as I'm self employed I've worked in Kent and London within the last 3 years, but I don't think the job centre would expect anyone to do that.

How far is too far?

Archived