Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

A lesson in simple economics. State retirement pension as projected for me in 2 years time = £130 per week. End of, no extras, hidden benefits etc, so total cost to state IS £130 per week.

Unemployed young family, 2.5 kids, help with mortgage, or rent, plus council tax plus whatever else they can claim = circa £300 per week.

Let me retire early, the young guy has my job, GB plc saves £170 plus per week.

As I said SIMPLES......................

Why don't governments just listen to sense like this, instead of all the crap they spout...?

I think there's some mileage in this - it will need all sorts of tweaks for other benefits (such as child tax credit and working tax credit which I think are only paid if you work a minimum number of hours) and a bit of protection for those genuinely unable to work, and no doubt loads of layers of bureaucracy to run it properly which will probably cost a fortune, but in principle I don't think it's a bad idea

Thank you, I do occasionally come up with some good ideas but as I1L2T3 says it would appear someone thought of it before me, back in 1959.

thats the thing, potential big employers will always take people on for that time when they are supported by the government but when that subsidy ends they will get rid of the staff and then start all over again with a new batch. i have experienced this twice already with the various work schemes the government has rolled out. its a shame because when you have been unemployed for a least six months you really try and impress, hoping against hope that they will take you on. but they would be fools to do so, chucking away all that subsidy they unemployment gives for taking the unemployed on for work experience. the only people to benefit are the companys, no one else.

Sorry about taking a while to reply.

That bit about 50 people going after a crap job.

2.6 odd million unemployed and only 50 people after a job suggests their are a lot of people out there as fussy as they are workshy.

There's also pride and dignity. they probably hold out hope of something better and are applying for jobs that align with their skills and qualifications hopes and aspirations. (and their spelling ability). It might take some time before they are starved out of these reasonable expectations.

I've always thought that people on benefits should have to do just one day a week picking up litter, clearing river banks or my personal bugbear, cleaning up dog muck. It's not too much to ask, it would really help the community and would act as an insentive to find a proper job!

Those who work for Streetforce know that picking up litter, amongst other duties is a proper job!,

There's also pride and dignity. they probably hold out hope of something better and are applying for jobs that align with their skills and qualifications hopes and aspirations. (and their spelling ability). It might take some time before they are starved out of these reasonable expectations.

Pride and dignity.

To me that's earning my own way in the world and not taking handouts.

Waiting for something better.

Ha ha ha.

You mean too lazy to bother because the dole is too high and you don't need to get out of bed except on signing on days.

Real world mate. I lost my job twice due to companies shutting down.

I took anything I could to keep myself in work until I found something better.

Twice unemployed, twice had a job within days.

Waiting for something better is about as lame as some school kid telling teacher how the dog ate his homework.

A pathetic excuse for being lazy.

And I salute them for taking the work.

Better than dole monkeys waiting for something better.

Why are you always full of hate? Chill out, we're all gods children..Just think yourself lucky that you could move to that part of the world for "work" reasons...

We'll all be dead in a hundred years so what will it all matter then?..:D

And I salute them for taking the work.

Better than dole monkeys waiting for something better.

This guy is all heart. One day the rug will be pulled out from under him......could be a serious health problem or something else beyond his control. In the meantime he just spouts rubbish and cliches.

Ignore him and he may go away. [ The BNP forum banned him last week for being insensitive ]

Archived