Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

Strange how his subject comes up every time there is a recession. :huh:

Todays really scary story is the one about the long term sick having to face a panel. GP's sick notes will no longer be good enough to claim sick pay etc. Still I suppose some totally strange medic knows more about you than your GP, consultant,oncologist [yes I did say oncologist] Rather like the morons at ATOS, paid by the DWP to disregard the hippocratic oath.

Torys are not happy unless they are inflicting pain and misery on some poor sod. Before the 'know it all mafia' chip in showing their ignorance and lack of compassion, I myself work part time after major cancer surgery, suffer severe rheumatoid arthritis, cannot walk far or stand up for long, but I would rather work than beg.

It's a really stupid idea in my view

If there is work to be done then people on benefits should be offered it at a rate of pay suitable to the job, if they refuse it their benefits should stop.

Agreed. It just seems a ****-eyed way of reducing unemployment figures. If the job exists it exist and should be open to all, not just unemployed. Jobs created solely for a certain section of society is dangerous IMO..especially the poor.

Strange how his subject comes up every time there is a recession. :huh:

Todays really scary story is the one about the long term sick having to face a panel. GP's sick notes will no longer be good enough to claim sick pay etc. Still I suppose some totally strange medic knows more about you than your GP, consultant,oncologist [yes I did say oncologist] Rather like the morons at ATOS, paid by the DWP to disregard the hippocratic oath.

Torys are not happy unless they are inflicting pain and misery on some poor sod. Before the 'know it all mafia' chip in showing their ignorance and lack of compassion, I myself work part time after major cancer surgery, suffer severe rheumatoid arthritis, cannot walk far or stand up for long, but I would rather work than beg.

There's nothing really new in the sick pay dispute though,they would send you for a medical on Queen St(this locality obviously) and if the examiner there,usually a retired GP said so your doctor ,who treats you all the time,was forced to throw you off

Getting people to do work they are already capable of doing but not paying them the going rate is wrong. The job is either there or it isn't.

On the other hand if somebody has limited skills, wants to gain essential skills or for whatever reason just needs to learn how to be an employee, to become employable, then they should be using their time while on benefits to do that.

A better idea may be, that the claimant takes their benefit entitlement to an employer and says, "The government will pay you my benefit for 6 months to subsedise my wages,on condition that you give me a job that will last a minimum of 12 months."

Not always that simple though. Pre credit crunch alot of companies might have taken that option and alot have hit the buffers. Might work for tesco etc. (they never lay anyone off) but alot of firms, certainly in these difficult times wouldnt be prepared to take the gamble. And what if the firm closes in 6 months ? Do they have to pay it back ?

It's a nice idea in principle but it's open to abuse.

Not always that simple though. Pre credit crunch alot of companies might have taken that option and alot have hit the buffers. Might work for tesco etc. (they never lay anyone off) but alot of firms, certainly in these difficult times would be prepared to take the gamble. And what if the firm closes in 6 months ? Do they have to pay it back ?

It's a nice idea in principle but it's open to abuse.

No because the subsidy could be paid in stages as the new employee retrains to do the job.

I agree. The problem is the government fully intend to force people on benefits to work 30 hours a week for their benefits. That will work out at way less then minimum wage, meaning the government are soon going to have an entire workforce working for less than minimum wage. Doing jobs that will in turn take away jobs that would have had to be done by a legitimate worker on at least minimum wage.

Could it even be called legalized slave labour?

Interesting point you made there. Who would be your employer? The State? And what happens to the workers who would have got the jobs in the first place....are they now the unemployed unemployable?

The plot thickens.

A better idea may be, that the claimant takes their benefit entitlement to an employer and says, "The government will pay you my benefit for 6 months to subsedise my wages,on condition that you give me a job that will last a minimum of 12 months."

Doesn't A4e Parasite Ltd already do that, taking a nice cut?:mad:

Archived