Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

why dosent the gov instead of giving more money to emma harrisons coffers give this money to an employer direct after the person has been employed for the 2 years.

That wouldn't do because how would Harrison and her like then get their money for teaching people to suck eggs?

The fact is most people never need to go anywhere near those providers. Most people are perfectly capable of finding a job themselves if they're left to get on with it. In fact the Jobcentres should leave them alone (up to a point) as well rather than delivering bi-weekly slaps in faces. :mad:

Surely it's better to pay the person their benefits regardless, let them work and pay a flat rate of tax. But allow them to opt out of the minimum wage if they so wish.

Pay them to go self employed in effect.

Paying people benefits whether they work or not? Lovely idea, but how would the government fund it?

A flat rate of tax would be a great idea, and does work well in some countries.

That way, everybody in the UK would have to pay about 26% on anything they earn above about £10k, rather than lower earners paying bugger all and higher earners being penalised for hard work and doing better.

Paying people benefits whether they work or not? Lovely idea, but how would the government fund it?

A flat rate of tax would be a great idea, and does work well in some countries.

That way, everybody in the UK would have to pay about 26% on anything they earn above about £10k, rather than lower earners paying bugger all and higher earners being penalised for hard work and doing better.

why are you upset about the low earners paying bugger all and in reality(tax avoidance) the higher earners paying erm bugger all :hihi:

The problem I have is that there are people wanting for paid jobs at the supermarkets, so will this cut the amount of staff a supermarket will have to pay. I am all in favour of making the unemployed do some kind of work experience but that experience might as well be in jobs that no one wants to do. Seasonal jobs in the fields would be a good place to start.

Farmers already get subsidies and could also benefit from subsidised British labour.

Is working for your benefits "forced labour" ?

I voted "Yes" because it is but that doesn't mean I disagree with it.

In fact I think it should be a normal requirement when signing on.

There are plenty of jobs that need to be done but are sadly neglected. Delivering shopping for the disabled and/or pensioners comes to mind for a starter.

There must be a load of other things that are done by volunteers at the moment but could be done by the workshy.

That would get the dole scroungers out of bed and give them a good reason to get a real job. I'm pretty sure the dole bill would drop pretty quickly.

The fact is that successive governments have destroyed manufacturing jobs that a lot of the current unemployed would have been occupied in. This started with Thatcher and has been rolled out by both Labour and Conservative governments. The theory behind this was because it was cheaper to import. Not when you take into account the huge benefits bill it isn't. The unions must also take some of the responsibility as well. They ruined the car industry in this country for a start. I'm sure they'd have been better off with slightly less terms than nothing at all....

Most of the supposed jobs that replaced the manufacturing jobs are rubbish low paid "customer services" twaddle with no future or financial reward.

I don't blame anyone for claiming benefit when these jobs are the only alternative. Anyway, why can't the unemployed use the same excuse as the fiddling MP's and show no shame by claim, "Its not illegal."

I don't believe the theory, either, that overseas workers are willing to work for low pay why shouldn't our unemployed? These overseas workers are, in effect, paid more. The wages on offer here are much better than back in Poland, where the cost of living is also much lower. So when they return home it'll have been worth it...

Now why didn't I say it like this..:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2063476/Death-working-class-A-million-young-Britons-dole-motivated-foreigners-job-vacancies.html

The fact is that successive governments have destroyed manufacturing jobs that a lot of the current unemployed would have been occupied in.

You're partially right. The unions destroyed the jobs with their greed and quest for political power but that's not really an issue as there are plenty of jobs out there.

The problem is many people simply don't want to work so the employer has to take overseas workers instead of lazy local people.

That's where "Work for your cash" is such a great idea.

It'll get the lazy scroungers out of bed and used to working and, if they have to get up anyway, they'll take real jobs instead.

It'll save the country a small fortune in dole payments to lazy fools.

Archived