Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

Do you think that work placements should be reduced to menial labour tasks like litter picking?
For people who've been on benefits for more than, say, a year, a situation reminiscent of the Sean Connery film 'The Hill' might be appropriate.

Here's a thought that was put to me.

At age 16 everyone gets a notional personal account that represents the benefits portion of the value of the average working life contributions.

It's there to call on when times are tough and when it's gone, it's gone unless you contribute more than the average, in which case it gets topped up or increased. What's left is your state pension on retirement age.

Its not the benefit that's too high but the wage that's too low. They'd probably be, a single person, about 60 quid a week better off when everything is taken into consideration.

If we want to motivate people to work, they have to have some real incentive..

And there are 59 applicants already. This kind of blows out of the water your theory that people won't work.

I agree with this, minimum wage has to be increased or the amount of tax you pay on minimum wage reduced.

work 40 hrs a week for essentially an extra £40? I know it's not the greatest attitude but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want to. Especially if it's a dead end job or a temp job that has no real prospects.

The Job centre seem useless at finding careers for people, they just likequick fixes or plasters on the problems. Great I can go work for a couple of months doing somethign completely irrelevant to what I want to do in life juts becuase I am able. Surely I'd be better off continuing the volunteering I do that is relevant to my degree to get me into LONG TERM EMPLOYMENT, rather than me being back at the job centre in a few months with little relevent experience gained.

For people who've been on benefits for more than, say, a year, a situation reminiscent of the Sean Connery film 'The Hill' might be appropriate.

Won't happen, despite the rantings of the likes of Tony..

Won't happen, despite the rantings of the likes of Tony..

Rich, I've always cut you a tremendous amount of slack and stuck up for you, usually when you didn't even know it. Right now, you're trying my patience with your unfounded and frankly insulting statements. Just calm it down yea?

In any case schemes like this usually cost a fortune to manage. If the whole idea is to save money then we need to see the balance sheet. Cost of benefit minus cost of scheme. It won't be that much.

Then there's the cost to others who may well loose their job because they can get someone else to do it for nowt.

Its a load of bluster that will disappear a few years after its introduced...

I reckon a better scheme to get people into work would be to pay all the benefits the claimant receives. JSA CTB and HB and to a new employer for a year. The employer would also not have to pay NI on the person, but would have to pay the new employee a decent livable wage. This could particularly help young unemployed people who have never worked and have no prospects. It would encourage companies to expand and provide proper training to the unemployed..

Archived