Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

Yay! Tony's not a Mod any more! I can finally put him in ignore so I don't have to read craptastic threads like this moaning about benefits all the time! :rant::loopy:

You used to moan about 'em enough, AND your treatment at the hands of ATOS etc. Its been a while since Morley St . One day I'll let you know who I am, but only if you are a good boy !!!;)

This is a chicken/egg situation.

No prospective employer wants to see long term gaps in someones work history. voluntry work or work experence is a good way of plugging those gaps. The otherside of the arguement is if the work is there, why can't they pay someone to do it rather than slave labour? Difficult subject.

Perhaps any work done free of charge must be done for a good cause rather than to line someone elses pockets who's avoiding paying wages.

Its not the benefit that's too high but the wage that's too low. They'd probably be, a single person, about 60 quid a week better off when everything is taken into consideration.

If we want to motivate people to work, they have to have some real incentive...

There would be. Take the job or get nothing.

Awww, didums. You've have to get out of bed before the pub opens and be unable to waste your time in bars telling anyone drunk enough to believe you that you can't get a job because immigrants have taken them all.

Newsflash - Immigrants only get the jobs because of that rather silly attitude.

There would be. Take the job or get nothing.

Awww, didums. You've have to get out of bed before the pub opens and be unable to waste your time in bars telling anyone drunk enough to believe you that you can't get a job because immigrants have taken them all.

Newsflash - Immigrants only get the jobs because of that rather silly attitude.

To be honest Wath, you don't live here any more so you can't really comment on the current job situation in Sheffield in my opinion.

Not really. After 3 months A4e claim the vast majority of their payment (12 or 14k. I forget which one it is now). After three months there isn't so much of an incentive to keep people in work. Why would they?

Coerce people into work for 3 months then let them sign on again. Have them referred back to A4e and start the process again. 12k every 4 or 5 months for A4e. It's like a rolling contract for them.

And if the politicians keep listening to Harrison (and let's face it, they have so far - it makes it look like they're 'doing something' and lines up another (allegedly) venal criminal for the House of Lords...) it will get worse.

Harrison was on Newsnight last week bitching that 'We don't get them :rolleyes: until they've been out of work for 12 months. It's too late!'

So what do you suggest, Harrison? That people are tattooed with 'A4e' on their forehead at birth and sent for 're-training' in one of your gulags?

What's wrong with people ... get a job! Yes there are jobs out there. Not necessarily great ones but there are jobs. I don't like my job but I go every day to pay my bills and support my family. I don't need the extra burden of supporting lazy work-shy fops!

That's great, come and work for me for £1 PH for 8 hours a day

What's wrong with people ... get a job! Yes there are jobs out there. Not necessarily great ones but there are jobs. I don't like my job but I go every day to pay my bills and support my family. I don't need the extra burden of supporting lazy work-shy fops!
dont forget the well off who are probably paying less tax than you?

Archived