Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

Tony

Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is working for benefits "forced labour" ?

• Yes
    • No

What's wrong with people ... get a job! Yes there are jobs out there. Not necessarily great ones but there are jobs. I don't like my job but I go every day to pay my bills and support my family. I don't need the extra burden of supporting lazy work-shy fops!

Ugh :loopy::rant:

Another daily fail reader

Not everyone wants to do something they don't enjoy. I for one would rather go to the pub.

Adolf used to read the daily mail you know :rant:

By free speech, you mean 'taking a guess at something', right?

Not at all.

I mean your statement regarding my lack of right to air an opinion because I'm no longer in Sheffield area.

That strikes me as rather similar to an extremist view. Consider I still have the right to vote in UK elections as as if I should have that right or not.

If not, why?

There would be. Take the job or get nothing.

Awww, didums. You've have to get out of bed before the pub opens and be unable to waste your time in bars telling anyone drunk enough to believe you that you can't get a job because immigrants have taken them all.

Newsflash - Immigrants only get the jobs because of that rather silly attitude.

What about the point and link I provided earlier where there were 50 odd applicants for a fairly poor job. This at least proves that its not easy to walk into a job...never mind a decent one..?

Immigrants are more determined to work for low pay because it will eventually give them a much higher reward than people already here..If someone from Poland works here for a few years and manages to save several thousand, back in Poland when they return home, this sum will provide a really good start...

As for paying people nothing if they don't work will have a bad effect on the economy. This will take billions out of local shops etc. There will be a massive increase in crime and then, of course, the knock on effect to people who do work will be that their pay and conditions will lessen because they'd fear becoming unemployed.

You haven't really thought it through but provided the usual rant and knee jerk reaction...

Not at all.

I mean your statement regarding my lack of right to air an opinion because I'm no longer in Sheffield area.

That strikes me as rather similar to an extremist view. Consider I still have the right to vote in UK elections as as if I should have that right or not.

If not, why?

Yes but all your points are usually from the great height of your ivory tower...:D

I'm surprised you've never said, "let them eat cake"...

Yes but all your points are usually from the great height of your ivory tower...:D

I'm surprised you've never said, "let them eat cake"...

I'm sorry. I didn't realise success is a reason not to post.

Perhaps I should sell my country home and sack one of the servants.

Would that make you happy?

I'm sorry. I didn't realise success is a reason not to post.

Perhaps I should sell my country home and sack one of the servants.

Would that make you happy?

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. We're just pointing out that because of your location your opinions are misguided and not based on what's really happening. I'm not opposed to people from a different country advising the people who actually live here what's best, but then again we're quite right to point out when you're wrong.

You are wrong about most thinks though TBH...but carry on, There's no law against being ill advised, forming negative opinions about anyone not as fortunate as you, generally being extremely right wing, heartless, cruel, bombastic, deluded, arrogant and humourless. But as I said, carry on its at least entertaining...:D

The benefit system needs to be simplified in a fashion, so that people can jump in and out of temporary work without having to go through all the rigmarole that is entailed in making a claim. This summer, I met a young woman from Lithuania. Whether or not she was working legally here I don't know, but she told me that she comes over here every year for about 8 weeks to clean student properties during the summer break. No one can blame her for coming over as she makes the equivalent of a years wages in those 8 weeks. Can you imagine the fuss and palaver of someone here taking an 8 week job? If the system was quicker and more efficient, there must be hundreds of employers that would employ people 'as and when required' but the red tape involved discourages them from doing so.

And if the politicians keep listening to Harrison (and let's face it, they have so far - it makes it look like they're 'doing something' and lines up another (allegedly) venal criminal for the House of Lords...) it will get worse.

Harrison was on Newsnight last week bitching that 'We don't get them :rolleyes: until they've been out of work for 12 months. It's too late!'

So what do you suggest, Harrison? That people are tattooed with 'A4e' on their forehead at birth and sent for 're-training' in one of your gulags?

I was at a meeting with Harrison a couple of months back and had the opportunity to ask her what support structure A4e had in place for those wanting to retrain or go in to a different area of work. She admitted there was none, but went on to suggest people should take up the lowest paid jobs in Boots and work their way up the ladder.

The woman lives on cloud cuckoo land (or maybe in upinwaths mansion?).

I was at a meeting with Harrison a couple of months back and had the opportunity to ask her what support structure A4e had in place for those wanting to retrain or go in to a different area of work. She admitted there was none, but went on to suggest people should take up the lowest paid jobs in Boots and work their way up the ladder.

The woman lives on cloud cuckoo land (or maybe in upinwaths mansion?).

The woman clearly is not from this Planet! :loopy:

But I've always said that the likes of A4E are the last recourse for the desperate anyway (and before anyone starts, I've been on a similar kind of course, and it came to sweet FA)

Archived