Christmas Songs In the 70's

Christmas approaching reminds me of two songs from the 70's era I used to like very much,

one of which is still played today and is more like an anthem than just another song:

Merry Xmas by Slade, as it gets nearer to Christmas you seem to hear this song everywhere

its still a 'Good Old Un' and gets me tapping the foot and singing along to it.

The other song I used to like and even now sing it, is one by a band called Steelye Span

the song was ' All Around My Hat ( I will wear the green ribbon ) you never hear this one now and that too was a good song with a very catchy beat.

Whenever I hear that song it reminds me of the Nottingham House and

the Duke of York.

The Greg Lake Christmas song always brings back happy memories.

Merry Xmas (with the s the wrong way) will alway be a

favourite.

Some idiot had to. BTW we are talking about the 70s, not some crummy release from 1983

Err The Slade song was originally from 1973 so it fits the criteria of the OP and the fact that it was on TOTP 10 years later shows its longevity in fact we should all but the record this year as it is the consummate Xmas party record and also to keep the dross that will be the Xfactors entry for the No 1 slot..spread the word

wizzard - i wish it could be christmas everyday

greg lake - i believe in father christmas

chris de burgh - a spaceman came travelling

i never tire of hearing these.

Chris be Burgh wants shooting-he makes Cliff Richard sound dynamic.Dont invite me to your desert island please.

Oooh- makes me think of Greg Lake (featuring an excerpt of the rather lovely 'Troika' from the Lieutenant Kije suite by Prokofiev) but apparently Greg Lake doesn't think that it's about Christmas :huh:

The others that spring to mind are Boney M doing 'Mary's boy child' and David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing a version of the Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth.

Err The Slade song was originally from 1973 so it fits the criteria of the OP and the fact that it was on TOTP 10 years later shows its longevity in fact we should all but the record this year as it is the consummate Xmas party record and also to keep the dross that will be the Xfactors entry for the No 1 slot..spread the word

Did The Banginman come out at Christmas too, Bangy?:cool:

Archived